Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Scott Cote <sc...@etcc.com> on 2019/01/18 18:35:57 UTC

notes and questions on configuration and installation of web console for ignite

Am going through the manual installation and implementation of the Ignite Web Console.
This is Part 1 of a series of notes that I’m making….

Throughout this set of items (questions and notes), I’m referencing the “Build and Deploy“ document (BDD) https://apacheignite-tools.readme.io/docs/build-and-deploy
=====
Items
=====

Item 1:
In the prerequisites section of BDD, we are instructed to run npm from $IGNITE_HOME.   Is this the ignite home of the exploded source tree, or the ignite home of the unzipped/extracted binary (released) instances ( - for example, I downloaded a binary and unzipped it/exploded the tar/gz).

Currently, I’m running npm from the exploded source tree and NOT my exploded binary – which is what my env variable $IGNITE_HOME points to.

Item 2:
The machine that I need to deploy the web console into is sitting behind a very grandiose firewall/av setup.  Using GIT/Maven/NPM to pull in dependencies for a build on that machine is not supportable.   I am able to build somewhere else ….  Want to package the outcome and deploy it to the super secure machine.   Maybe create a docker container….   Is there a docker container with web console already configured?   If not, and if I’m allowed, how do I contribute a docker container of this setup?  I think I can sell to my management that more eyeballs on a crafted docker container – generic without any of our proprietary work – would be good over all.  We would all benefit.

Item 3:
While running the npm installer for the backend (prerequisites of BDD), I noticed desupport notices from:

  *   Mockgoose
  *   Simple-bufferstream
  *   Babel
  *   Minimatch
  *   Circular-json
  *   Cryptiles
  *   Boom
  *   Hoek
  *
I will include the npm output below as Detail 1 -> 3  (notation: 1 refers to the first detail – 1, and 3 refers to this item of concern)

Item 4:
Npm audit revealed a couple of critical warnings (among others).   So that I can address my security team accurately (considering this IS an open source project)  Are the sources of the warnings (listed in Detail 2 -> 4) on an immediate roadmap to be corrected in the next release of Ignite.

Can I fix in my install by running “npm audit fix” ?  I’m not a nodejs guy, so I don’t know if the “fix” could be backported to the source and then given back to ignite community.  I will run npm fix, just don’t know if I can give outcome back.

Item 5:
Ran the audit fix for backend of BDD. See 3 -> 5 for the outcome on the screen.

Item 6:
While running the npm installer for the frontend (prerequisites of BDD), I noticed desupport and problem notices from:

  *   samsam
  *   text-encoding
  *   circular-json
  *   browserslist
  *   node-uuid
  *   hoek
  *   cryptiles
  *   boom
  *   socks
  *   mailcomposer
  *   buildmail
  *   uws

I will include the npm output below as Detail 4 -> 6

Item 7:
Again - Npm audit revealed a couple of critical warnings (among others).   So that I can address my security team accurately (considering this IS an open source project)  Are the sources of the warnings (listed in Detail 5 -> 7) on an immediate roadmap to be corrected in the next release of Ignite.

Can I fix in my install by running “npm audit fix” ?  I’m not a nodejs guy, so I don’t know if the “fix” could be backported to the source and then given back to ignite community.  I will run npm fix, just don’t know if I can give outcome back.

Item 8:
Ran the audit fix for backend of BDD. See 6 -> 8 for the outcome on the screen.

=======
Details
=======
Detail 1-> 3

c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\backend>npm install --no-optional
npm WARN deprecated mockgoose@6.0.8: Mockgoose is no longer actively maintained, consider using mongodb-memory-server
npm WARN deprecated scmp@1.0.2: scmp v2 uses improved core crypto comparison since Node v6.6.0
npm WARN deprecated simple-bufferstream@1.0.0: no longer maintained
npm WARN deprecated babel-preset-latest@6.24.1: We're super 😸  excited that you're trying to use ES2017+ syntax, but instead of making more yearly presets 😭 , Babel now has a better preset that we recommend you use instead: npm install babel-preset-env --save-dev. preset-env without options will compile ES2015+ down to ES5 just like using all the presets together and thus is more future proof. It also allows you to target specific browsers so that Babel can do less work and you can ship native ES2015+ to user 😎 ! We are also in the process of releasing v7, so please give http://babeljs.io/blog/2017/09/12/planning-for-7.0 a read and help test it out in beta! Thanks so much for using Babel 🙏, please give us a follow on Twitter @babeljs for news on Babel, join slack.babeljs.io for discussion/development and help support the project at opencollective.com/babel
npm WARN deprecated babel-preset-es2017@6.24.1: 🙌  Thanks for using Babel: we recommend using babel-preset-env now: please read babeljs.io/env to update!
npm WARN deprecated babel-preset-es2016@6.24.1: 🙌  Thanks for using Babel: we recommend using babel-preset-env now: please read babeljs.io/env to update!
npm WARN deprecated babel-preset-es2015@6.24.1: 🙌  Thanks for using Babel: we recommend using babel-preset-env now: please read babeljs.io/env to update!
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@0.2.14: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
npm WARN deprecated circular-json@0.3.3: CircularJSON is in maintenance only, flatted is its successor.
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@0.3.0: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
npm WARN deprecated cryptiles@2.0.5: This version is no longer maintained. Please upgrade to the latest version.
npm WARN deprecated boom@2.10.1: This version is no longer maintained. Please upgrade to the latest version.
npm WARN deprecated hoek@2.16.3: This version is no longer maintained. Please upgrade to the latest version.

> spawn-sync@1.0.15 postinstall c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\backend\node_modules\spawn-sync
> node postinstall

> mongodb-prebuilt@5.0.8 postinstall c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\backend\node_modules\mockgoose\node_modules\mongodb-prebuilt
> node install.js

done
inside extract, run complete 145.1mb)
Done installing MongoDB
npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
added 886 packages from 765 contributors and audited 5716 packages in 45.958s
found 39 vulnerabilities (24 low, 7 moderate, 6 high, 2 critical)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

Detail 2 -> 4

c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\backend>npm audit

                       === npm audit security report ===

# Run  npm install express@4.16.4  to resolve 8 vulnerabilities

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > send > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > serve-static > send > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  High            Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         fresh

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > fresh

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/526

  High            Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         fresh

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > send > fresh

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/526

  High            Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         fresh

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > serve-static > send > fresh

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/526

  Moderate        Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         mime

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > send > mime

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/535

  Moderate        Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         mime

  Dependency of   express

  Path            express > serve-static > send > mime

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/535

# Run  npm install pkg@4.3.7  to resolve 4 vulnerabilities

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   pkg

  Path            pkg > pkg-fetch > request > hawk > boom > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   pkg

  Path            pkg > pkg-fetch > request > hawk > cryptiles > boom > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   pkg

  Path            pkg > pkg-fetch > request > hawk > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   pkg

  Path            pkg > pkg-fetch > request > hawk > sntp > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

# Run  npm install --save-dev mockgoose@8.0.1  to resolve 6 vulnerabilities
SEMVER WARNING: Recommended action is a potentially breaking change

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mockgoose [dev]

  Path            mockgoose > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  High            Denial of Service

  Package         https-proxy-agent

  Dependency of   mockgoose [dev]

  Path            mockgoose > mongodb-prebuilt > https-proxy-agent

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/593

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mockgoose

  Path            mockgoose > mongodb-prebuilt > https-proxy-agent > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mockgoose

  Path            mockgoose > portfinder > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mockgoose [dev]

  Path            mockgoose > mongodb-prebuilt > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mockgoose [dev]

  Path            mockgoose > mongodb-prebuilt > mongodb-download > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

# Run  npm install --save-dev mocha@5.2.0  to resolve 2 vulnerabilities
SEMVER WARNING: Recommended action is a potentially breaking change

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mocha [dev]

  Path            mocha > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Critical        Command Injection

  Package         growl

  Dependency of   mocha [dev]

  Path            mocha > growl

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/146

# Run  npm install morgan@1.9.1  to resolve 2 vulnerabilities

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   morgan

  Path            morgan > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Moderate        Code Injection

  Package         morgan

  Dependency of   morgan

  Path            morgan

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/736

# Run  npm install mongodb-prebuilt@6.4.0  to resolve 2 vulnerabilities

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mongodb-prebuilt

  Path            mongodb-prebuilt > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mongodb-prebuilt

  Path            mongodb-prebuilt > mongodb-download > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

# Run  npm install body-parser@1.18.3  to resolve 1 vulnerability

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   body-parser

  Path            body-parser > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

# Run  npm install express-session@1.15.6  to resolve 1 vulnerability

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   express-session

  Path            express-session > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

# Run  npm install mongoose@5.4.5  to resolve 1 vulnerability
SEMVER WARNING: Recommended action is a potentially breaking change

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mongoose

  Path            mongoose > mquery > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

# Run  npm update debug --depth 9  to resolve 6 vulnerabilities

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > babel-cli > chokidar > readdirp >
                  micromatch > braces > snapdragon > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > babel-cli > chokidar > readdirp >
                  micromatch > extglob > expand-brackets > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > babel-cli > chokidar > readdirp >
                  micromatch > extglob > expand-brackets > snapdragon > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > babel-cli > chokidar > readdirp >
                  micromatch > extglob > snapdragon > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > babel-cli > chokidar > readdirp >
                  micromatch > nanomatch > snapdragon > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > babel-cli > chokidar > readdirp >
                  micromatch > snapdragon > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

# Run  npm update mocha --depth 2  to resolve 2 vulnerabilities

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mocha-teamcity-reporter [dev]

  Path            mocha-teamcity-reporter > mocha > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Critical        Command Injection

  Package         growl

  Dependency of   mocha-teamcity-reporter [dev]

  Path            mocha-teamcity-reporter > mocha > growl

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/146

# Run  npm update mongoose --depth 2  to resolve 1 vulnerability

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   migrate-mongoose

  Path            migrate-mongoose > mongoose > mquery > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

                                 Manual Review
             Some vulnerabilities require your attention to resolve

          Visit https://go.npm.me/audit-guide for additional guidance

  High            Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         minimatch

  Patched in      >=3.0.2

  Dependency of   fire-up

  Path            fire-up > simple-glob > glob > minimatch

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/118

  High            Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         minimatch

  Patched in      >=3.0.2

 Dependency of   fire-up

  Path            fire-up > simple-glob > minimatch

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/118

  Low             Prototype Pollution

  Package         lodash

  Patched in      >=4.17.5

  Dependency of   fire-up

  Path            fire-up > simple-glob > lodash

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/577

found 39 vulnerabilities (24 low, 7 moderate, 6 high, 2 critical) in 5716 scanned packages
  run `npm audit fix` to fix 27 of them.
  9 vulnerabilities require semver-major dependency updates.
  3 vulnerabilities require manual review. See the full report for details.

Detail 3 -> 5

c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\backend>npm audit fix
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.7 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.7: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"x64"})

+ morgan@1.9.1
+ body-parser@1.18.3
+ mongodb-prebuilt@6.4.0
+ pkg@4.3.7
+ express@4.16.4
+ express-session@1.15.6
added 107 packages from 521 contributors, removed 61 packages, updated 42 packages and moved 2 packages in 18.742s
fixed 27 of 39 vulnerabilities in 5716 scanned packages
  3 vulnerabilities required manual review and could not be updated
  3 package updates for 9 vulns involved breaking changes
  (use `npm audit fix --force` to install breaking changes; or refer to `npm audit` for steps to fix these manually)

Detail 4 -> 6

c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend>npm install --no-optional
npm WARN deprecated samsam@1.3.0: This package has been deprecated in favour of @sinonjs/samsam
npm WARN deprecated text-encoding@0.6.4: no longer maintained
npm WARN deprecated formatio@1.2.0: This package is unmaintained. Use @sinonjs/formatio instead
npm WARN deprecated circular-json@0.5.9: CircularJSON is in maintenance only, flatted is its successor.
npm WARN deprecated circular-json@0.3.3: CircularJSON is in maintenance only, flatted is its successor.
npm WARN deprecated browserslist@1.7.7: Browserslist 2 could fail on reading Browserslist >3.0 config used in other tools.
npm WARN deprecated nodemailer@2.7.2: All versions below 4.0.1 of Nodemailer are deprecated. See https://nodemailer.com/status/
npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.8: Use uuid module instead
npm WARN deprecated socks@1.1.9: If using 2.x branch, please upgrade to at least 2.1.6 to avoid a serious bug with socket data flow and an import issue introduced in 2.1.0
npm WARN deprecated mailcomposer@4.0.1: This project is unmaintained
npm WARN deprecated buildmail@4.0.1: This project is unmaintained
npm WARN deprecated uws@9.14.0: stop using this version

> uws@9.14.0 install c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend\node_modules\uws
> node-gyp rebuild > build_log.txt 2>&1 || exit 0

> @uirouter/visualizer@4.0.2 install c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend\node_modules\@uirouter\visualizer
> node ./migrate/migratewarn.js

> node-sass@4.10.0 install c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend\node_modules\node-sass
> node scripts/install.js

Downloading binary from https://github.com/sass/node-sass/releases/download/v4.10.0/win32-x64-67_binding.node
Download complete .] - :
Binary saved to c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend\node_modules\node-sass\vendor\win32-x64-67\binding.node
Caching binary to C:\Users\scote\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\node-sass\4.10.0\win32-x64-67_binding.node

> node-sass@4.10.0 postinstall c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend\node_modules\node-sass
> node scripts/build.js

Binary found at c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend\node_modules\node-sass\vendor\win32-x64-67\binding.node
Testing binary
Binary is fine
npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
npm WARN acorn-dynamic-import@4.0.0 requires a peer of acorn@^6.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.7 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.7: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"x64"})

added 1726 packages from 1909 contributors and audited 18424 packages in 58.495s
found 11 vulnerabilities (3 low, 5 moderate, 1 high, 2 critical)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details

Detail 5 -> 7

c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend>npm audit

                       === npm audit security report ===

# Run  npm install --save-dev mocha@5.2.0  to resolve 2 vulnerabilities
SEMVER WARNING: Recommended action is a potentially breaking change

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mocha [dev]

  Path            mocha > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Critical        Command Injection

  Package         growl

  Dependency of   mocha [dev]

  Path            mocha > growl

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/146

# Run  npm install --save-dev karma@3.1.4  to resolve 6 vulnerabilities
SEMVER WARNING: Recommended action is a potentially breaking change

  Moderate        Memory Exposure

  Package         tunnel-agent

  Dependency of   karma [dev]

  Path            karma > log4js > loggly > request > tunnel-agent

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/598

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   karma [dev]

  Path            karma > log4js > loggly > request > hawk > boom > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   karma [dev]

  Path            karma > log4js > loggly > request > hawk > cryptiles > boom
                  > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   karma [dev]

  Path            karma > log4js > loggly > request > hawk > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Moderate        Prototype pollution

  Package         hoek

  Dependency of   karma [dev]

  Path            karma > log4js > loggly > request > hawk > sntp > hoek

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/566

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         timespan

  Dependency of   karma [dev]

  Path            karma > log4js > loggly > timespan

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/533

# Run  npm install --save-dev webpack-dev-server@3.1.14  to resolve 1 vulnerability

  High            Missing Origin Validation

  Package         webpack-dev-server

  Dependency of   webpack-dev-server [dev]

  Path            webpack-dev-server

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/725

# Run  npm update mocha --depth 2  to resolve 2 vulnerabilities

  Low             Regular Expression Denial of Service

  Package         debug

  Dependency of   mocha-teamcity-reporter [dev]

  Path            mocha-teamcity-reporter > mocha > debug

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/534

  Critical        Command Injection

  Package         growl

  Dependency of   mocha-teamcity-reporter [dev]

  Path            mocha-teamcity-reporter > mocha > growl

  More info       https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/146

found 11 vulnerabilities (3 low, 5 moderate, 1 high, 2 critical) in 18424 scanned packages
  run `npm audit fix` to fix 3 of them.
  8 vulnerabilities require semver-major dependency updates.

Detail 6 -> 4

c:\cygwin64\home\scote\ignite\modules\web-console\frontend>npm audit fix
npm WARN acorn-dynamic-import@4.0.0 requires a peer of acorn@^6.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.7 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.7: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"x64"})

+ webpack-dev-server@3.1.14
added 8 packages from 433 contributors, removed 18 packages, updated 10 packages and moved 1 package in 13.165s
fixed 3 of 11 vulnerabilities in 18424 scanned packages
  2 package updates for 8 vulns involved breaking changes
  (use `npm audit fix --force` to install breaking changes; or refer to `npm audit` for steps to fix these manually)

Detail 7 ->

Detail 7 ->