Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com> on 2005/01/26 01:26:34 UTC

Instructions for building JavaHL

We are pretty regularly getting our asses kicked over on the Subclipse
mailing list because no one can figure out how to build JavaHL on *nix and
everyone seems to think that JavaHL comes from us.

Is there any way some definitive build instructions could be created, and
perhaps list some gotchas?

Is there any way we could encourage the various package maintainers to
start including JavaHL in their packages?

I am not a *nix programmer, so this isn't something I could create.  I
might be able to help maintain it over time as user's on the various lists
report problems.  FWIW, I was able to build it on Windows fairly easily,
and while I do not know a lot about *nix, I was able to build it on Linux.
However, it took a lot of trial and error and Google, and I do not really
understand everything I did,

Re: Instructions for building JavaHL

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:33 AM +0100 Patrick Mayweg
<ma...@qint.de> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> i am the author of the javahl binding. But not the author of the
> integration into the main bilding system.
> If you want to build the javahl binding on the 1.1.* branch on *nix
> system, it is not so complicated anymore.
>
> First run ./configure --enable-javahl [--with-jdk=...] [--with-junit=...]
> plus your usual options. The with-jdk option is needed, when JAVA_HOME
> does not point to your jdk directory. The with-junit option is need when
> you want to run the tests and should point to the junit jar.
> Then run
> make
> make javahl
> make install
> make install-javahl
> [make check-javahl]
> That should give you a usable javahl binding.

Yup, if that sequence of steps doesn't work, feel free to file a bug.

One additional issue is that on OS X jikes doesn't work correctly - even
though it is shipped by default (go figure).  dlr and I disagreed about
what the default should be, so on OS X, you'll need to also explicitly pass
in '--with-jikes=no'.  But, other than that, javahl should be buildable and
work almost everywhere on the 1.1.x branch and beyond.  (1.0.x did not have
a usable javahl build system.)

HTH.  -- justin

Re: Instructions for building JavaHL

Posted by Patrick Mayweg <ma...@qint.de>.
Hi Mark,

Mark Phippard wrote:

>We are pretty regularly getting our asses kicked over on the Subclipse
>mailing list because no one can figure out how to build JavaHL on *nix and
>everyone seems to think that JavaHL comes from us.
>
>Is there any way some definitive build instructions could be created, and
>perhaps list some gotchas?
>
>Is there any way we could encourage the various package maintainers to
>start including JavaHL in their packages?

I know that SuSE has rpm's available with javahl included. Gentoo should
build javahl by default and there are fink packages for MacOS.

>I am not a *nix programmer, so this isn't something I could create.  I
>might be able to help maintain it over time as user's on the various lists
>report problems.  FWIW, I was able to build it on Windows fairly easily,
>and while I do not know a lot about *nix, I was able to build it on Linux.
>However, it took a lot of trial and error and Google, and I do not really
>understand everything I did,

From using Google and my own trials, it does appear that there are a lot of
>possible switches and options that can effect the process.
>
>The Subclipse plugin for Eclipse has made a lot of progress as we near our
>1.0 release.  I would say we are now within shouting distance of the
>quality and completeness of TortoiseSVN.  It is a shame to have it all
>marred for *nix users by this problem.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

Patrick