Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Schultz <mj...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/27 00:13:00 UTC

Retrieving log messages for date range

Hello,

I'm trying to generate a file that gives the log messages back to a certain
date.  Shouldn't be too hard, should it?  Looking at `svn help log` I
figure a line like:
 svn log -r {2008-03-10}:HEAD file:///path/to/repository

Will print all the log messages from March 10, 2008 until the current
version stored in the repository. Nope. It gives me the following message:
 svn: Syntax error in revision argument '2008-03-10:HEAD'

Even simplifying it so just give the log messages for a certain
date (-r {2008-03-19}, for example), I get the same error message.

According to svn book[1], the formatting is correct and the command should
be quite successful.

For reference:
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
   compiled Jul 26 2007, 08:07:42

Any helpful ideas?

--michael

[1]http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.tour.revs.specifiers.html#svn.tour.revs.dates

Re: Retrieving log messages for date range

Posted by Michael Schultz <mj...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 05:21:01PM -0700, Hari Kodungallur wrote:
> The syntax is correct, but it is failing because you are likely using csh --
> which apparently assigns some special meaning to {}. The command will work
> in csh if you enclose {date} within quotes [ "{2008-03-10}":HEAD ]

Yup, right on the money.  I realized that tcsh was probably doing something
stupid with the {}s about 5 minutes after I posted.

Typically I do use bash, but when I'm logged in to a root shell (as I was
at the time) I use tcsh.  Bah.

Thanks!

--michael

Re: Retrieving log messages for date range

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Michael Schultz <mj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to generate a file that gives the log messages back to a
> certain
> date.  Shouldn't be too hard, should it?  Looking at `svn help log` I
> figure a line like:
>  svn log -r {2008-03-10}:HEAD file:///path/to/repository
>
> Will print all the log messages from March 10, 2008 until the current
> version stored in the repository. Nope. It gives me the following message:
>  svn: Syntax error in revision argument '2008-03-10:HEAD'
>
> Even simplifying it so just give the log messages for a certain
> date (-r {2008-03-19}, for example), I get the same error message.
>
> According to svn book[1], the formatting is correct and the command should
> be quite successful.
>
> For reference:
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
>   compiled Jul 26 2007, 08:07:42
>
> Any helpful ideas?

The syntax is correct, but it is failing because you are likely using csh --
which apparently assigns some special meaning to {}. The command will work
in csh if you enclose {date} within quotes [ "{2008-03-10}":HEAD ]

Better will be to use bash :-)

regards,
-Hari