Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Rui Pacheco <ru...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/09 13:51:30 UTC

[OT] Why jwcid?

Hi all

Its slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering about this for a while: why
do we need to use "jwcid" to identify which elements in a form are to be
treated as Tapestry components? Why not use the normal "name" and "id"
identifiers used in HTML?

Once again, I'm  just curious, and sorry for disrupting the mailing list. We
didn't have much traffic today either :)
--
Cumprimentos,
Rui Pacheco

Re: [OT] Why jwcid?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
You can configure what attribute Tapestry uses to "recognize" components.
The default is "jwcid", you can change this to anything you like, even "id".

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/UsersGuide/configuration.html

org.apache.tapestry.jwcid-attribute-name

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.

Re: [OT] Why jwcid?

Posted by Karthik N <ka...@gmail.com>.
i largely agree, although for some cases tapestry chooses to override your
assigned id, with an id that tapestry chooses.

On 8/10/06, Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp> wrote:

> In addition, id (and maybe name) are useful attributes for javascript
> programming, so tapestry leaves them alone when it doesn't need them.
> That way you can still use them in your own javascript.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>

> Karthik N wrote:
> > every element that does not have the jwcid attribute is treated as
> "normal"
> > html - tapestry does not care too much about it.
> >
> > every element that has jwcid is an indicator to tapestry that we're
> > creating
> > a tapestry component - so such html takes a very different lease of life
> as
> > a tapestry component.
> >
> > On 8/9/06, Rui Pacheco <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> Its slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering about this for a while:
> >> why
> >> do we need to use "jwcid" to identify which elements in a form are to
> be
> >> treated as Tapestry components? Why not use the normal "name" and "id"
> >> identifiers used in HTML?
> >>
> >> Once again, I'm  just curious, and sorry for disrupting the mailing
> list.
> >> We
> >> didn't have much traffic today either :)
> >> --
> >> Cumprimentos,
> >> Rui Pacheco

Thanks, Karthik