Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2013/09/10 15:55:56 UTC

Question re cluster-reuters.sh

Hi

I have tried to follow/execute the steps described at

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Quick+tour+of+text+analysis+using+the+Mahout+command+line

but had trouble to do so, because for example
|org.apache.lucene.benchmark.utils.ExtractReuters does not seem to be
contained by mahout-distribution-0.8.

Then I have found

mahout-distribution-0.8/examples/bin/build-reuters.sh

and was running it successfully.

If I understand the script is doing basically the same as described at

|https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Quick+tour+of+text+analysis+using+the+Mahout+command+line

right? If so, then I would be happy to update the Wiki accordingly.

Also I have found the following post

http://bickson.blogspot.ch/2011/09/understanding-mahout-k-means-clustering.html

which seems to describe quite nicely what is happening behind the scenes.

I think it would also make sense to add these notes to the Wiki, or WDYT?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Question re cluster-reuters.sh

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thanks Suneel for confirming

Will try to understand it better and then probably post more questions.

Thanks

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.
Michael.

1. build-reuters.sh is to be be retired, use cluster-reuters.sh instead.
2. You are correct, the script does what's been described in the wiki link.

I have tried to follow/execute the steps described at

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Quick+tour+of+text+analysis+using+the+Mahout+command+line

but had trouble to do so, because for example |org.apache.lucene.benchmark.utils.ExtractReuters does not seem to beĀ  contained by mahout-distribution-0.8.