Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by llpind <so...@hotmail.com> on 2009/06/26 21:25:57 UTC

Scanner exceptions in .20

Hey,

I'm doing the following to get a scanner on a tall table:

 Scan linkScan = new Scan();.
 linkScan.addColumn(Bytes.toBytes("type"), Bytes.toBytes("ELECTRONICS"));
 ResultScanner scanner = tblEntity.getScanner(linkScan);
 for (Result linkRowResult : scanner ) {
    String row = Bytes.toString(linkRowResult.getRow());
 }

Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.UnknownScannerException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.UnknownScannerException: -2823498412219891315
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.close(HRegionServer.java:1894)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor9.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:643)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:913)

Method)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.RemoteExceptionHandler.decodeRemoteException(RemoteExceptionHandler.java:94)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$TableServers.getRegionServerWithRetries(HConnectionManager.java:928)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable$ClientScanner.nextScanner(HTable.java:1764)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable$ClientScanner.next(HTable.java:1859)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable$ClientScanner$1.hasNext(HTable.java:1915)
        ... 8 more

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
if the segment of the table you are searching is very large and the
column you are looking for is very rare (<1%) then the scanner might
time out since it has to skip so many rows looking for the column.

In this case you might benefit from an inverted index in a different
table.  In that set up your table might be:
- rowkey = type:ELECTRONIC value
- column qualifier = primary key of the main table, value = '1' or
some other marker to indicate it exists.

Good luck!
-ryan

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry I didn't know what you meant.  I don't think it's sitting on the client
that long.  Its during the next() call (on the first next call.  for (Result
linkRowResult : scanner ) { ).

Why would this happen when i use addColumn vs. addFamily?

I will try to double the lease period.  Thanks

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
I understand the weirdness :)

realized It may not be helpful to even use addFamily or addColumn, since row
keys are sorted and the start/stop rows provide good filtering.  Nontheless,
it is an issue with HBase.

I was able to have scanners perform a little better by removing a loop which
I knew only held  a single entry (Since HBase would have to check dataset
for second next call).  Performance is still not great when I need to loop
over about 1000 entries, and need to change the start/stop row on Scan
object (Unless it's already cached).

Had another question:
What type of caching improvments have been made in .20?   When using
existing start/stop row, I see much better performance (3X-4X).  Also, what
other things can I do to improve performance with tall tables?  I have 2
tall tables with 2 scanner loops based on start/stop row.

Thanks for all the help here :)

Thanks.

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
(Sorry, you said that already.  Thanks for putting up w/ our dumb questions)

Then, as Ryan says above, there's a bug in here around addColumn.

St.Ack

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Scanner exceptions in .20