Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Mathew, Bindhu" <Bi...@ssa.gov> on 2001/12/17 19:22:10 UTC

JMSAppender

  Could someone explain a scenario where JMS is useful in logging?
Thanks,
BMathew

Re: JMSAppender

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@austin.rr.com>.
The project I am working on is using JMS for logging.  The project happens
to be distributed.  We chose JMS (although really sockets, RMI, JINI, etc
are all valid for the same reasons) because it gave a single/central point
from which to control logging for all the various tiers.  This way logs can
all be stored on a single servers as opposed to whichever server happens to
be running the class requesting the logging.

That being said, I don't know that I would use the log4j JMS stuff as is
without modification/customization.  To be fair, I haven't tried using it,
but have been looking through the code over the last few days.  From what I
have seen of it, it uses a single connection for all log requests.  From my
experience with JMS, this is extremely inefficient and slow; and an approach
which is generally refactored into a pool concept.

HTH

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>