Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by Kristopher Kane <kr...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/29 15:15:29 UTC

Deployment Contributor placement

In, gateway-provider-identify-assertion-common/resources/META-INF/services/

What is the reason/advantage of calling this provider's deployment
contributor
in org.apache.hadoop.gateway.filter.rewrite.api.UrlRewriteFunctionDescriptor
instead of ProviderDeploymentContributor?

Thanks,

Kris

Re: Deployment Contributor placement

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
Kris,

A ProviderDeploymentContributor extension is invoked during the process of
deploying a topology file to a WAR structure.  As such it does not have an
opportunity to participate in runtime or request time processing.

A UrlRewriteFunctionDescriptor/Processor extension is invoked request-time
construct.  It is invoked by the Rewrite framework when a the function
name is found in a matching rule rewrite template in rewrite.xml.

As far as the gateway-provider-identify-assertion-common introducing the
³frontend² rewrite function via its UrlRewriteFunctionDescriptor
META-INF/services file that just seemed like the most natural place to
include it.  It certainly could have been placed in a separate module but
at the time this this was created the existing code in this module was
refactored into a rewrite function so it made sense to keep it in this
module.

Let me know if I answered your question and if not hopefully I at least
provided enough context for you to clarify so that I can.

Kevin.