Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Dag Liodden <lo...@liodden.no> on 2002/08/16 18:08:53 UTC

Possible contributions to ChainSaw

Hi eveyone!

This is my first attempt to contribute to the development of log4j (or
any Jakarta project), specifically ChainSaw. I have rewritten parts of
chainsaw to:

1. Show categories in a tree and filter them according to selection
2. Distinguish log events from different hosts (also shown in the tree)

Before I do more work on it, I am just wondering if this is something that
could be interesting, and if it would be possible to implement this in the
source tree (I'll post patches). The changes are at least very useful to
me... :)

BTW: As I mentioned, this is my first ever contribution. I've read the
guidelines and I hope this is not a breach of volunteer protocol. :)

Cheers,

Dag Liodden

--
Giant Leap Technologies AS

RE: Possible contributions to ChainSaw

Posted by Dag Liodden <lo...@liodden.no>.
OK, I just send the sources. There are changes to most files, so I guess
it will be easier.

Now, even if ChainSaw is useful, it's quite limited. What we need is a
complete management console for our server apps. I've looked around
jakarta and haven't seen any integrated Log4J and/or JMX GUIs. To me it
would be very interesting to contribute to such a project. Developing
components like chainsaw for Log4J, something similar for Phoenix
Instrumentables or JMX (I havent really had time to get into the JMX
concepts yet, but we currenctly use something similar to the
Instrumentables in Phoenix in our server solution at the moment and are
thinking about porting), drop them into a management container and create
a full-fledged management tool.

If anyone knows of such a project or wants to get into it, please drop me
a line! :)

Cheers for now,

Dag

BTW: Why is there so little activity on this list?

Posted by Oliver Burn <ol...@puppycrawl.com>.
Hi,