Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com> on 2004/09/21 18:59:42 UTC

seperate development spaces on same server/tomcat

Okay here is a better question then the dumb one I asked yesterday.  I need
to setup up three instances of the same site.  Here is the reason.  I have
three developers who are coming in.  I have one set of code, rather then
they share it, and play that way I would rather them have their own spots to
play.

So are their tutorials or some example of what to look at to see how to do
this.

example is:  HTML code is seperate.

so HTML/images is in /usrl/local/apache2/guy1, guy2, guy3 ....
jsp/java/servlets is in /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/guy1, guy2, guy3 ....

http://server/guy1
http://server/guy1
http://server/guy3

any help would be appreciated.

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented MicrosoftŽ
SmartScreen Technology.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

Unexpected error starting Tomcat

Posted by Gerardo Juarez <ge...@computo-industrial.com.mx>.
I have been working with Tomcat 4.1.30 for several weeks now. Everything
so far has been according to the documentation, butover the last couple of
weeks some problems have developed: the server stops working and it is
difficult to restart. The first timeI reinstalled the Java SDK. On a later
occassion I reinstalled Tomcat as well. I packed and unpacked all the
applications as they were exactly and it worked again. Now none of these
remedies sems to work. I would have said that Tomcat doesn't work if it
hadn't been for the fact that I have already *seen it* at work. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This is my setup:

fedora core 2
tomcat 4.1.30
j2sdk1.4.2_04

cpu: intel 2.8GHz, 760Mb RAM,

I am including a portioin of the log with the errors.

Thanks,
Gerardo Juarez

------ Log -------
SEVERE: Begin event threw error
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.LifecycleListenerRule.begin(LifecycleListenerRule.java:139)
	at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
	at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1273)
	at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
	at
Source)
	at
Source)
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.createTldDigester(ContextConfig.java:481)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.<clinit>(ContextConfig.java:183)
	... 22 more
Exception during startup processing
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
[...]
	... 5 more

Re: seperate development spaces on same server/tomcat

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:59:42PM +0000, Didier McGillis wrote:
: to setup up three instances of the same site.  Here is the reason.  I have
: three developers who are coming in.  I have one set of code, rather then
: they share it, and play that way I would rather them have their own spots
: to play.
: [snip]
: so HTML/images is in /usrl/local/apache2/guy1, guy2, guy3 ....
: jsp/java/servlets is in /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/guy1, guy2, guy3 ....
:
: http://server/guy1
: http://server/guy1
: http://server/guy3

Check out the Tomcat docs on CATALINA_BASE vs CATALINA_HOME, which lets
you provide each developer with their own Tomcat instance (separate
JVMs).  Find/create custom scripts for each developer to start/stop
their own instance.

The rest is, well, up to the developers.  They should be able to check
out the entire site from source code control (or however it's stored).
They would work on just their piece, and only check-in code related to
their piece; but to be effective, they should be able to run/see the
full site within their instance.

Taking this a step farther, you could create another instance for QA,
one for load-tests, etc.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net