Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/28 18:01:42 UTC

nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Hey all,

Below is a discussion from the Commons list.
Commons-graph is the sole project with a dependency on
nsuml.  It appears that the HEAD version of nsuml is
an incomplete refactoring of the project that does not
compile with commons-graph.  It also appears that
nsUML development is dying or dead.

Since version 1_4 of graph is poor and development is
frozen, it would seem that the best course of action
would be to stop building HEAD and use the 0.4.20
release JAR instead.  I wouldn't suggest departing
from continuous integration unless a project was
really and truly dead, but I believe that is the case
here.

Comments?  If this seems like the right thing to do,
what's the best way to do it?  A project definition
that grabs a JAR from somewhere on the internet?
Placing the JAR inside the commons-graph repo?

- Morgan

=====

Re: timeout (was Re: nsUML is dead?)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> sh gen.sh -cp "/home/rubys/bin/timeout 1200"

Thanks!

Stefan

Re: timeout (was Re: nsUML is dead?)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>I found a utility for unix that can be used to enforce a time limit
>>on each step.
>
> Interesting.  How do you use it with the generated scripts?

sh gen.sh -cp "/home/rubys/bin/timeout 1200"

Search gen.sh for "cmd-prefix" to see how it works.

Enjoy!

- Sam Ruby

timeout (was Re: nsUML is dead?)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:

> I found a utility for unix that can be used to enforce a time limit
> on each step.

Interesting.  How do you use it with the generated scripts?

I've been thinking about adding a "java" shellscript which would the
simply do

exec timeout 1200 /real/path/to/java "$@"

and move that to the front of my nightly Gump script's PATH, but I'm
sure there is a simpler way.

Stefan

Re: nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>so I have to hit ctrl-c to let it continue...)
>
> Glad to have "killall java" available.

I found a utility for unix that can be used to enforce a time limit on
each step.  I've attached the code in case others might find it helpful.

- Sam Ruby

Re: nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 30 Jan 2003, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:

> my build from yesterday is still running (is coming near the 24
> hours now..)  (some package will just hang,

Same here, cactus-sample-servlet-12 it is on my machine.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
I'll have a look at it :) (at fixing the depdenency that is).
But my build from yesterday is still running (is coming near the 24
hours now..)  (some package will just hang, so I have to hit ctrl-c to
let it continue...)

Mvgr,
Martin

check target of Gump rocks!

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
I just had to say this.  I've been travelling and finally had a spare
moment.  Looked at the build and saw that the prereq with nekohtml was
failing.  Typed "build gump check" and saw that there was three errors,
with the appropriate URL for each ready for me to cut and paste into
Mozilla.

I had a typo in installing one of the three, and a subsequent check let
me know this in seconds.

The build that just started should not have any installation prereq
problems.

- Sam Ruby

Re: nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Now if only I could get Gump and Antivirus to be nice to each other :)

You are certainly welcome to work on gump.covalent.net.  So is Morgan,
if he is willing to send me a new public key.  ;-)

- Sam Ruby

Re: nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
news <ne...@main.gmane.org> wrote on 31/01/2003 02:24:01 PM:

[snip]
> > p.s. How about instead of bootstrapping Maven core first, we go for
one of
> > the plugins? They have very few dependencies.
>
> They don't depend on the core?  In any case, I'm quite willing to try to

> make forward progress on multiple fronts...
Most plugins don't depend on core, so I'm happy to pursue that as well.

Now if only I could get Gump and Antivirus to be nice to each other :)
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>>What version of Maven does it run?  I'd like to see the possibility that
>>  the version is the one that was bootsrapped.  After all, that's what
>>the meaning of the <ant> task is...
>
> I'll chase up Alexei and get him to answer the questions.

Cool.  Just so it is clear: if it causes no harm to me, I am +0 to the
addition.  If it can use the bootstrapped from source Maven (not with a
bunch of downloads, actually bootstrapped), then an enthusiastic +1 from me.

>>- Sam Ruby
>>
>>P.S.  The subject of this thread was actually an issue that you
>>indicated that you were intending to fix..
>
> Yep, one which Morgan took over for me, as I was busy fixing Maven to work
> with his recent changes to Jelly :)

;-)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Morgan and others, one of the Maven developers (Alexei) has a patched gump
> that runs maven projects using a <maven> tag similar to <ant>, from what
> he's described.

What version of Maven does it run?  I'd like to see the possibility that
  the version is the one that was bootsrapped.  After all, that's what
the meaning of the <ant> task is...

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  The subject of this thread was actually an issue that you
indicated that you were intending to fix...

Re: nsUML is dead? [was: Re: [Graph] nsuml changes?]

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Morgan and others, one of the Maven developers (Alexei) has a patched gump
that runs maven projects using a <maven> tag similar to <ant>, from what
he's described.

Is that of interest to anyone?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Morgan Delagrange
> <md...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Let's say "theoretically" ;) that I wanted to use
> > fixed version of nsUML for the time being.  What
> would
> > I do?
>
> "theoretically" you have two options (and only if
> they have tagged
> their CVS appropriately, otherwise only option two
> is available):
>
> (1) Add a tag="..." to the <module> element of nsuml
> an check out the
> CVS version that matches the fixed version.

It's not obvious from the repository where that would
be.  It's clear that they have rearranged their
repository around their new API.  I guess I'd have to
subscribe to their list and ask around.  I'm not sure
what the benefit would be of pointing to a dead branch
of their CVS tree though.  From their archives, it's
not looking likely that they're going to continue
developing their new, incomplete API, but I see no
indication at all that they plan to resume with the
old API either.

> (2) Make it an installed package.
>
> I'd go for (1) as it allows an easy route to switch
> back to HEAD as
> soon as it seems to be maintained again.
>
> > Or is this solution unjustifiable?
>
> It depends on how dead development of nsUML really
> is, I guess.  The
> people who are involved in commons-graph may be
> interested in keeping
> it alive.

I don't know how central the UML stuff is to graph.

I think I just passed my "I don't care THAT much"
threshhold.  I'm trying to picture myself tracking
down the 0.4.20 branch so I can whip the graph
developers into a quixotic crusade to save it.  I
don't even use graph myself.  :)  Its only consumer in
GUMP is Maven.

- Morgan

=====

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> >
> > Below is a discussion from the Commons list.
> > Commons-graph is the sole project with a
> dependency on
> > nsuml.  It appears that the HEAD version of nsuml
> is
> > an incomplete refactoring of the project that does
> not
> > compile with commons-graph.  It also appears that
> > nsUML development is dying or dead.
> >
> > Since version 1_4 of graph is poor and development
> is
> > frozen, it would seem that the best course of
> action
> > would be to stop building HEAD and use the 0.4.20
> > release JAR instead.  I wouldn't suggest departing
> > from continuous integration unless a project was
> > really and truly dead, but I believe that is the
> case
> > here.
> >
> > Comments?  If this seems like the right thing to
> do,
> > what's the best way to do it?  A project
> definition
> > that grabs a JAR from somewhere on the internet?
> > Placing the JAR inside the commons-graph repo?
>
> If the speculative changes were made on the HEAD
> have no community
> and/or are unsupported, why not create a branch for
> that, and then
> restore the original versions on the HEAD.
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  I have no specific opinion on what the right
> course of action is
> here, I am merely pleased to see Gump motivate
> people having such
> discussions.  ;-)

Gosh, Sam, I just wanted somebody to tell me what to
do, not make me think...  I don't know if we'll
convince the nsUML folks to roll back to the old
version.  From the traffic on the list, this is my
interpretation of nsUML's state:

  1) The HEAD version does have some early adopters.
  2) The HEAD version is nonetheless incomplete.
  3) The project is spinning toward inactivity.

Not the best state for your dependencies.  I've taken
a look at the source code for nsUML, and I really
don't want to go swimming in that pool.  However I do
want graph to build, so that Maven will build and I
may someday spend a whole day without running the
bootstrap.

Let's say "theoretically" ;) that I wanted to use a
fixed version of nsUML for the time being.  What would
I do?  Or is this solution unjustifiable?

- Morgan

=====

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.