Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Sakala, Adinarayana" <AS...@iona.com> on 2005/11/03 17:34:37 UTC

Migrating from Ant to Maven

Hi,

I am new to Maven. We currently use Ant for build system in our open source project called Celtix (http://celtix.objectweb.org).
We are looking to migrate the project to using Maven.

Did anybody go through this process before?
If so, Any pointers/help? Any known issues?

Also, do anybody have any suggestion on which version of Maven should we look at?

Appreciate any help on this.
Thanks,
Adi Sakala

Re: Migrating from Ant to Maven

Posted by Chris Berry <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
The move from Ant to Maven is relatively painless, particularly with Maven2.

I would definitely recommend going with Maven2. Maven1 uses Jelly which is
pretty nasty to deal with -- you can call out to Ant with Jelly easily, but
Jelly is quite unpredictable and you will spend a lot of time tearing your
hair out. Plus, Maven2 is the future, so you might as well start there.

Mostr likely Maven implicitly does most of what you do with Ant already. If
I were you I would start with a simple project to get my head around Maven.
Then do your "real project" after you know the basics.

In general, using Ant from Maven2 is simple. There are plugins which allow
you to either 1) embed Ant directly in your POM or 2) use an external Ant
buildfile from Maven2. It really depends on whether you need a reusable
build system across many projects (i.e. a reusable Plugin), or your system
is a one-off.

Whether you need the Ant stuff at all really depends on whether you have any
"non-standard" build steps in your sequence, and whether these are not
addressed by some existing Plugin that can be wired in...

YMMV
Cheers,
-- Chris