Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by fa...@caltech.edu on 2004/07/19 15:46:07 UTC

Non-root install fails

I'm trying to install svn 1.1.0 rc1 as a non-root user for use in "local
mode."

I'm configuring with:

/configure --prefix=/home/myname/bin --without-berkeley-db
--disable-mod-activation --without-apache --without-httpd

Make install fails with:

cp .libs/mod_dav_svn.soT /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_dav_svn.so
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_dav_svn.so':
Permission denied
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
 .
make: *** [install-mods-shared] Error 1

Install does not seem to be respecting "prefix."

Per a mailing-list message from 2002, manually removing
"install-mods-shared" from the Makefile allows installation.

Perhaps I missed a --disable or --without flag?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Non-root install fails

Posted by Seth Falcon <sf...@fhcrc.org>.
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:46:07AM -0700, fago@caltech.edu wrote:
> Perhaps I missed a --disable or --without flag?

You might want to try adding --disable-shared.  I've successfully used
the following configure call to build stand-alone client only installs:

./configure --prefix=/home/sfalcon/temp/sw \
    --disable-shared \
    --without-apache \
    --without-apxs \
    --without-berkeley-db \
    --disable-swig-bindings \
    --with-ssl

It's probably overkill, but it worked for me.

+ seth

Re: Non-root install fails

Posted by Robert Guthrie <rg...@pobox.com>.
I got some binaries installed in a non-root dir with just these options:

configure     --prefix=/home/rguthr/subversion \
                 --without-berkeley-db \
                 --disable-shared

I needed static linked binaries so I could just copy them from the build
location to other machines with a minimum of fuss, but it makes for big
executables.

Re: Non-root install fails

Posted by David Ripton <dr...@ripton.net>.
On 2004.07.19 08:46:07 +0000, fago@caltech.edu wrote:
> I'm trying to install svn 1.1.0 rc1 as a non-root user for use in "local
> mode."

That worked okay for me, on both Gentoo and Debian.  (BTW, thanks to
Greg and company for fsfs, which is a lot easier to get working on
non-ideal machines than bdb.)

> I'm configuring with:
>
> /configure --prefix=/home/myname/bin --without-berkeley-db
> --disable-mod-activation --without-apache --without-httpd

I just did:

./configure --prefix=$HOME --without-berkeley-db
make
make install
svnadmin create $HOME/svn/my-test-repos --fs-type=fsfs

and started using the test repository

> Make install fails with:
>
> cp .libs/mod_dav_svn.soT /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_dav_svn.so
> cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_dav_svn.so':

Eek.

Is the error repeatable if you "make clean" then redo the build
process with no false steps?

What OS, gcc, make, and autoconf versions are you using?

--
David Ripton    dripton@ripton.net