Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Richard Cantwell <ri...@xwerx.com> on 2006/07/12 12:49:52 UTC

Can anyone help mw with a "Simplest portal in the world" error?

Can anyone on earth help with this - i have been trying to get Jetspeed2
working for 3 days now! - i've gone to http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-
2/getting-started.html and downloaded Maven onto C:\maven-2.0.4 with the
respository automatically downloading to C:\Documents and Settings\dimen01\.m2
\repository, i've downlaoded ANT 1.5 at C:\apache-ant-1.6.5 - both maven and
ANT are installed (ant -version and maven--version give results at DOS
prompt) - i've also changed the PATH variable in environmental varibales
(Control panel->System->Advanced->environmental variables->%PATH% to
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_12\bin;C:\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin;C:\maven-2.0.4\bin;), i've
downloaded the 'installer' version at http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-
2/getting-started-installer.html to C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0,
started startup.bat, went to http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal and walla,
there she was! - so far so good right? - anyway, logged on as 'admin',
password 'admin', changed password and logged in again - great! - so far so
good! - so navigated around to see how i could test my installation - see
a 'simplest portal in the world' example i could try out at
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-simple-portlet.html -
followed these steps but couln't execute the maven command 'javac -cp
~/.maven/repository/org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2/jars/portlet-api-1.0.jar
Simplest.java' though got around this by putting the portlet-api path in the
CLASSPATH variable in the autoexec.bat system file in the C directory (Windows
Explorer->Tools->folder Options->View->DETICK 'hide protected operating system
files (recommended)' option->goto C directory->right click on autoexec.bat and
choose 'edit'->add path -

set PATH=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_12\bin;%PATH%
set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_12
set CLASSPATH=.;C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9\common\lib\servlet-api.jar;C:\jakarta-
tomcat-5.5.9\common\lib\jsp-api.jar;C:\Servlets+JSP;..;..\..;C:\jakarta-struts-
1.2.4\lib\struts.jar;C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0\shared\lib\portlet-
api-1.0.jar)

so i could compile simplest.java – the following steps were then taken
- created simplest folder at C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0
\webapps\simplest –
- Compiled simplest.java in C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0
\webapps\simplest\WEB-INF\classes\simplest.class
- created web.xml and portlet.xml in C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0
\webapps\simplest\WEB-INF
- from DOS prompt, goto C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0\webapps\simplest
and deploy the war using “jar cvf ../simplest.war .”
Now, the C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0\webapps directory contains the
simplest.war and the webapps/simplest folder is empty – I copied this
simplest.war file to the /webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy folder – on the
Tomcat output I get…something like ‘INFO: Missing application web.xml, using
defaults only StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext
[/simplest]’ but on the deployment log, I see that it has been deployed!

I tried to goto to the Portlet Application manager and add simplest portlet
that way
(http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal/_ns:YXBhbS0yfGMx/Administrative/pam.psml
) but no luck! – couldn’t see it to add it? – so I went to the next step in
the tutorial and tried creating the simplest.psml – created this and added
it ‘exactly’ according to the tutorial if anyone wants to have a look – and
added it to the webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages directory – but when I went to
http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal/simplest.psml, I got that awful error:

Title Error: Cannot pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.
  Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for simplest::SimplestFailed to
retrieve Portlet Definition for
simplest::Simplestjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot pass a null
PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
simplest::SimplestFailed to retrieve Portlet Definition for simplest::Simplest

PLEASE CAN ANYONE OUT THERE RESCUE ME? – I’ve been reading up on the web and a
lot of people have this initial problem when starting with Jetspeed2 – there
was an especially helpful bolg on this site but they seemed to get it sorted! –
 how luck was that?

Re: Can anyone help mw with a "Simplest portal in the world" error?

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

The installer version of Jetspeed includes a full tomcat application
server. And I notices that you were building a webapp directly in the
webapps directory. This is as special directory where tomcat deploys
webapps. Try removing this and building the webapp and war in another
directory and then copying the war file to the jetspeed deploy
directory.

Philip

On 7/12/06, Richard Cantwell <ri...@xwerx.com> wrote:
> Can anyone on earth help with this - i have been trying to get Jetspeed2
> working for 3 days now! - i've gone to http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-
> 2/getting-started.html and downloaded Maven onto C:\maven-2.0.4 with the
> respository automatically downloading to C:\Documents and Settings\dimen01\.m2
> \repository, i've downlaoded ANT 1.5 at C:\apache-ant-1.6.5 - both maven and
> ANT are installed (ant -version and maven--version give results at DOS
> prompt) - i've also changed the PATH variable in environmental varibales
> (Control panel->System->Advanced->environmental variables->%PATH% to
> C:\j2sdk1.4.2_12\bin;C:\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin;C:\maven-2.0.4\bin;), i've
> downloaded the 'installer' version at http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-
> 2/getting-started-installer.html to C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0,
> started startup.bat, went to http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal and walla,
> there she was! - so far so good right? - anyway, logged on as 'admin',
> password 'admin', changed password and logged in again - great! - so far so
> good! - so navigated around to see how i could test my installation - see
> a 'simplest portal in the world' example i could try out at
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-simple-portlet.html -
> followed these steps but couln't execute the maven command 'javac -cp
> ~/.maven/repository/org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2/jars/portlet-api-1.0.jar

This is not a maven command and the path to ~ is should be replaced by
your home directory path. C:\Documents and Settings\dimen01

This also assumes that your have built jetspeed on your system with
maven 1. I'm going to remove that because the jar is actually in your
application server.

Good luck,
Phil

Philip Donaghy