Posted to user@atlas.apache.org by Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org> on 2020/12/04 18:56:53 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Atlas - Python client

All,

The official Python client library for Apache Atlas is now available at
https://pypi.org/project/apache-atlas. This python client is based on
Apache Atlas REST APIs and enables integration with Atlas types, entities,
glossaries and search APIs

Install:

pip install apache-atlas

Sample Usage to create a new Glossary:

from apache_atlas.base_client import AtlasClient
from apache_atlas.model.glossary import AtlasGlossary

client = AtlasClient("http://localhost:31000", "admin", "admin123")
glossary = AtlasGlossary(None, None, "Glossary_Test", "This is a test
Glossary")
test_glossary = client.glossary.create_glossary(glossary)
print('Created Test Glossary with guid: ' + test_glossary.guid)

You can find more examples here -
https://github.com/apache/atlas/tree/master/atlas-examples/sample-app/src/main/python

Apache Atlas is updating the website/documentation to include details of
this new client. Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Sarath

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Atlas - Python client

Posted by Verdan Mahmood <ve...@gmail.com>.
This is superb news.
We have been relying on 3rd party clients for quite some time and also
maintaining a fork of a client, which uses lazy loading.
The one that I personally maintain is this one:
https://pyatlasclient.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#

However, I'd be happy to migrate to the official client as soon as
possible. A few questions:
- How is the release lifecycle looks like for the official client? Is there
a way we contribute and release quickly?
(for example, we added a few helper functions that we think are super
useful when using atlas client.
https://pyatlasclient.readthedocs.io/en/latest/utils.html)

- Why we are not making use of Python Dataclasses (or pydantic) for
serialization and deserialization and are relying on regular class objects?

- Does this client support OIDC yet?

Best,
*Verdan Mahmood*
M: (+31) 655 576 560