Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Steve Keppel-Jones <st...@quack.com> on 2000/09/13 02:46:54 UTC

Memory free list problems in DOMString?

We're running into exceptions caused by an apparently corrupted DOMString handle
pool free list.  We're looking into possibilities of our own code corrupting the
DOMString handle pool, but we're also wondering whether anyone else has run into
something similar.  The problem seems to be reduced in frequency if we put a mutual
exclusion lock around multiple threads' calls to DOMParser::parse(), although not
eliminated entirely.  From the Xerces FAQ, it appears that multiple threads can
safely use a DOMParser if they each have their own instance; and indeed in a
separate test program, this appears to be the case.  We do run the transcode
function as well, and we wondered whether this is thread-safe, or whether there are
any restrictions on multi-threaded use of transcode().

We're aware of the problems that can be caused by using different styles of library
linking (this is under Windows NT); we've run into that separately, and we're pretty
sure that's not the problem in this case.

Thanks,
Steve