Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu> on 2004/10/01 16:48:56 UTC

HTML to XHTML

Hi all,

I've been trying to play around with changing the pipeline for the
default publication to serialize as XHTML 1.0 Strict instead of HTML
4.01 Transitional.

The Wiki FAQ for Lenya says to change line 154 of
publication-sitemap.xmap to "xhtml".  Well, line 154 doesn't have that
there, so I took a wild guess and said that this is the section I
should be changing:

           <map:select type="browser">
             <map:when test="mozilla5DISABLED">
               <map:match pattern="authoring/**.html">
                 <map:transform
src="cocoon://lenya-page/{page-envelope:publication-id}/{../../1}.xml?
doctype={page-envelope:document-type}&amp;uiml=xul"/>
               </map:match>
               <map:serialize type="xml"
mime-type="application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml"/>
             </map:when>
             <map:otherwise>
               <map:match pattern="authoring/**.html">
                 <map:transform
src="cocoon://lenya-page/{page-envelope:publication-id}/{../../1}.xml?
doctype={page-envelope:document-type}"/>
               </map:match>
               <map:transform
src="../../xslt/util/strip_namespaces.xsl"/>
               <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
             </map:otherwise>
           </map:select>

Notice the last map:serialize has been changed to xhtml.  Of course,
when I do this and try to access the pages, they are all blank, from
Mozilla 1.6 to FireFox 1.0rc1.  I checked it with Safari and something
shows up, but the top menu is all very strange-looking.  The source has
something there, it's just not showing up.  Am I missing something?

Jon

Re: HTML to XHTML

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jonathan Linczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to play around with changing the pipeline for the
> default publication to serialize as XHTML 1.0 Strict instead of HTML
> 4.01 Transitional.

[...]

> Notice the last map:serialize has been changed to xhtml.  Of course,
> when I do this and try to access the pages, they are all blank, from
> Mozilla 1.6 to FireFox 1.0rc1.  I checked it with Safari and something
> shows up, but the top menu is all very strange-looking.  The source has
> something there, it's just not showing up.  Am I missing something?

This is a known issue.
I'm fighting exactly this problem in 1.4-dev.
I'll let the list know as soon as I find an answer.

I didn't yet manage to produce a validating XHTML due
to unwanted namespace issues.

-- Andreas

Re: HTML to XHTML

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>>

>>>Probably what's happening is that you have invalid xhtml.
>>
>>what XHTML validator are you using?
>

> I usually use nsgmls which is part of the OpenJade project
> (http://openjade.sourceforge.net/).  Its part of debian so its
> simple to get up and running.

You can also install the web developer extension for
Firefox. It provides you with one-click validation in the
browser.

-- Andreas

Re: HTML to XHTML

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

--
JP

Re: HTML to XHTML

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

>Probably
>what's happening is that you have invalid xhtml.

what XHTML validator are you using?

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: HTML to XHTML

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Jonathan Linczak wrote:

> Notice the last map:serialize has been changed to xhtml.  Of
> course, when I do this and try to access the pages, they are all
> blank, from Mozilla 1.6 to FireFox 1.0rc1.  I checked it with
> Safari and something shows up, but the top menu is all very
> strange-looking.  The source has something there, it's just not
> showing up.  Am I missing something?

Hi Jon,

I've been successful using the xhtml serializers.  Try loading the
page in Mozilla then use Ctrl-I to see what mime-type the browser
thinks the page is.  Then try Ctrl-U to see the source.  Probably