Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> on 2010/04/30 17:02:41 UTC

New design doc - where to put it?

Hi Jonathan,

I am going to write up a new design doc for another store module for
Windows. Where is the best place for this in the new scheme of things? I
would ordinarily put it in the wiki (that is, if it worked ;-) but is
that still the best place for it?

Thanks,
-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: New design doc - where to put it?

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
However for now you could probably create a /design folder under the
/cpp/docs dir and check it in.
If that's not the right place then we could easily move it.

I think the most important thing is to get this going.
So I'd say check it in :)

Rajith

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good question Steve.
> I think we initially decided that at the least user facing docs should
> live in svn and then the rest in the wiki.
> But I think a strong case can be made for design docs in svn as well.
> I think it will force people to keep the design doc in sync with the code.
>
> Maybe we should try to get some consensus around where exactly to
> place these docs.
>
> Rajith
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Jonathan Robie
> <jo...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 04/30/2010 11:02 AM, Steve Huston wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I am going to write up a new design doc for another store module for
>>> Windows. Where is the best place for this in the new scheme of things? I
>>> would ordinarily put it in the wiki (that is, if it worked ;-) but is
>>> that still the best place for it?
>>>

>> If the Wiki still worked (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2671),
>> that would be a reasonable place to put it. I'd rather see design docs in
>> the source code tree, perhaps in the place where the new module is supposed
>> to live. That way, if I'm looking at the code, I also have the design
>> documentation that describes the code.
>>
>> For instance, perhaps we could agree that any time you have foo/src, foo/doc
>> is the right place to put design documentation that describes that source?
>> And in some directories where there is no ./src subdirectory, like
>> qpid/cpp/rubygen, we can just add ./doc as needed.
>>
>> We could describe that convention in a README at the top level.
>>
>> Does this sound good?
>>
>> Jonathan

>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

> Regards,