Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Foo Chang Hu <en...@nus.edu.sg> on 2002/03/28 06:12:52 UTC

upgrade to apache 2.0.32

Hi!

My name is Terrence, a new subscriber. I would appreciate it greatly if you
could help me with this problem.

I am a user of redhat linux 7.2 and have the apache 1.3.20 that comes with
it installed. I would like to use the latest version 2.0.32 to test out some
IPv6 stuff and followed the installation instuctions on the Apache website.

However, as i tried to start the program with 'apachectl start' i received
this error message:

error while loading shared libraries:libapr
util.so.0:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bin/apachectl start:httpd could not be started

What should i do to remedy the problem? I am a newbie and thus i would be
grateful if anyone could explain it to me in simple terms.

Or could u recommend any good sites to read up?

Many thanks

Terrence

Re: upgrade to apache 2.0.32

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Foo Chang Hu wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My name is Terrence, a new subscriber. I would appreciate it greatly if you
> could help me with this problem.
>
> I am a user of redhat linux 7.2 and have the apache 1.3.20 that comes with
> it installed. I would like to use the latest version 2.0.32 to test out some
> IPv6 stuff and followed the installation instuctions on the Apache website.
>
> However, as i tried to start the program with 'apachectl start' i received
> this error message:
>
> error while loading shared libraries:libapr
> util.so.0:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> bin/apachectl start:httpd could not be started
>
> What should i do to remedy the problem? I am a newbie and thus i would be
> grateful if anyone could explain it to me in simple terms.

You are missing a required library. There are two possibilities:

- You have the library but the compilation shell can't find it: Do
"locate libapr" to try to find it on your system. Then, if you find it
in e.g. /usr/local/apr/lib, add this to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
compiling.

- You don't have the libabry installed. Check the Redhat site,
sourceforge, gnu etc. for a download and install it.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.