Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Morrison John <jo...@experian.com> on 2000/09/14 18:07:35 UTC

CVS XSP (was RE: changebars)

I've considered doing an XSP logicsheet to do this, but some none of the JavaCVS clients appear to either
a) work very well
b) don't yet implement required functionality
c) the architecture isn't very clear/clean

There's also the problem that you have to have a checked out repository on the machine which is serving requests, ie:

browser -> Apache/Cocoon + local repository -> (CVS instruction) -> CVS Server

where CVS instruction is, for example, log of a file.

Problems:
* Diskspace
* Update frequency
* Initially checking out the code (time...)
* request latency (ie query to you, request to CVS server, wait, response from CVS server, you transform, reply!)

Any takers I'll certainly help but my time is _very_ limited.

John.

of this email.

Re: CVS XSP

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:29:44AM +0200, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> The Roxen webserver <URL:http://www.roxen.com/> has the nifty feature
> of "mounting" a CVS tree somewhere into the URI space. This feature
> lets you access the current revision of all files I through the web
> server.
> I don't know how they solve all these problems, but I have used this
> CVS mount feature with a local CVS repository and it worked quite
> well then (end of 1998/early 1999).

There is also an apache module performing the same role, so you
may be able work it out from that, too.

Paul

Re: CVS XSP

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Morrison  John <jo...@experian.com> writes:

> I've considered doing an XSP logicsheet to do this, but some none of
> the JavaCVS clients appear to either
> a) work very well
> b) don't yet implement required functionality
> c) the architecture isn't very clear/clean
>
> There's also the problem that you have to have a checked out
> repository on the machine which is serving requests, ie:
>
> browser -> Apache/Cocoon + local repository -> (CVS instruction) -> CVS Server
>
> where CVS instruction is, for example, log of a file.
>
> Problems:
> * Diskspace
> * Update frequency
> * Initially checking out the code (time...)
> * request latency (ie query to you, request to CVS server, wait,
>   response from CVS server, you transform, reply!)
>
> Any takers I'll certainly help but my time is _very_ limited.

The Roxen webserver <URL:http://www.roxen.com/> has the nifty feature
of "mounting" a CVS tree somewhere into the URI space. This feature
lets you access the current revision of all files I through the web
server.

I don't know how they solve all these problems, but I have used this
CVS mount feature with a local CVS repository and it worked quite
well then (end of 1998/early 1999).

Uli