Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Alex V. Alishevskikh" <al...@openmechanics.net> on 2002/03/29 09:25:31 UTC

Questions about AWTRenderer

Hi, all

I have the some questions about FOP AWTRenderer:

1) What reasons to some Graphics2D rendering hints are not turned on by
defaults? I mean the KEY_ANTIALIASING and KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS. I have
tried to turn them on and IMHO, FO looking is being pretty attractive and
accurate. I believe what it could be the potential performance problem for
the slow machines (or, maybe, some videocards), but we could make it
possible to enabling/disabling by user (by the properties files or somehow
else). But maybe there is a global Java2D properties somewhere? Then sorry,
but I didnt find them...

2) I use the AWTRenderer in my own program for previewing the results before
PDF generation or printing. Therefore, I want to have the precise "snapshot"
of the future PDF. But it seems what AWT and AcroRead interpretes the font
metrics differently, thus AWT preview doesnt looks like the PDF (or printed
hardcopy). There is a differences between the linebreaks and pagebreaks
locations, tables geometry etc. I have no ideas about how I can to make the
precise preview, but maybe someone has?

3) What about wrapping AWTRenderer as the swing JComponent? It could be a
more convenience to embedding it in applications.

Thanks and sorry for my english, its ugly, I know.

Best regards,
Alex V. Alishevskikh <al...@openmechanics.net>

OpenMechanics
http://www.openmechanics.net