Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2012/10/25 02:49:25 UTC

Reminder: Apache software is always free of charge

We regularly have helpful users who write to us noting that third party
websites or eBay users or the like are selling versions of Apache
software, including Apache OpenOffice (or older versions of OpenOffice.org)

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) is a non-profit public charity,
with the mission of producing software for the public good.  Any Apache
software product is always available free of charge from the ASF at our
apache.org (or openoffice.org) domain:

   http://www.apache.org/free/

The ASF also provides all of our software under the Apache License - a
license that allows users of our software very broad rights in terms of
how they use our software.  In fact, our license allows users to take
our software and re-sell it, either as is (perhaps on a CD-ROM or the
like, which is a helpful service for some users), or after modifying it.

So in many cases, it's perfectly legal to "sell" Apache software for
money.  It's just silly in most cases for people to pay for it.  8-)

Please note that one of the major exceptions in the Apache License is
trademarks: users may not use Apache trademarks in infringing ways.  So
if some non-apache.org website is selling or providing Apache software
in a way that you find confusing, please do let us know.  We do
investigate third party websites that provide related software products
to ensure that Apache trademarks are being respected.

- Shane