Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> on 2005/07/13 15:42:54 UTC

Re: MyFaces & Struts

Sean Schofield wrote:
> My thoughts exactly.  Strtus-faces is really meant to help people who
> already have a significant investment in Struts.   I'm a big fan of
> Struts but I am increasingly becoming comfortable with JSF and if I
> were to start a new project, I would just go with JSF.  People
> disagree about JSF vs. Struts but most people will tell you not mix
> the two if you can avoid it.
>
> Even if the two technologies complemented each other, if you are new
> to things, I would argue that its easier to focus on one major
> technology at a time.  For instance, I am new to JSF and Hibernate but
> apparently a lot of people like to use them together.  I'm focusing on
> JSF for now and will take a look at Hibernate later.

Amen to that, I also made the experience in the past, if you mix too
many new techs together at one time you call for trouble even if they
complement each other very well.

I mixed JSF Spring and Hibernate together in one project with JSF and
Spring being the two new constants to the mix.

After the second project with this mix, things become fast, but if I had
to do it again, I probably would have introduced one new tech per project.
The main problem was that there were too many APIs introduced although
Spring had its merits and is really good, it is also an extra learning
curve, which you might try to avoid.
Although Spring is less critical in that regard than JSF, because you
can use small subparts of spring and introduce other stuff later.