Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/09 12:54:19 UTC

Re: how to build Harmony on Windows (with minimum of commercial soft)

Gregory Shimansky skrev  den 01-06-2006 23:34:
> First I decided to use the current MS free software to repeat what is
> done
> by commercial. Nowdays MS offers VS.NET 2005 express edition (no earlier
> verions are available for download as far as I could find) and
> Platform SDK
> Server 2003 R2 (at first I've downloaded an earlier one but later
> upgraded
> to 2006 year version). The VS 2005 brings some new nuisances which
> software
> written outside of Redmond wasn't ready for.
I have now played a bit around with this, and I would like to have you
confirm that the software above is the _ONLY_ Visual Studio stuff
installed on your machine?

The reason for this is that I have Visual Studio C++ Express, Platform
Server 2003 SDK R2 (the latest I could find), and MASM installed on my
XP box, and I cannot get a runnable deploy/.../jre/java.exe

If I run first the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
Server 2003 R2\SetEnv.cmd" /XP32 command and then the
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat" I can
build all of classlib, but invoking deploy\jdk\jre\bin\java gives me the
dreaded "Cannot find MSVCR8.DLL" dialogue box.

I tried looking around on the net for information how to fix this, and
changing -MD to -MT did not change anything.   All this with manifests
and dll is very strange to me so I'm giving up on that for the moment.

If I run the R2\SetEnv.cmd command only (and not the vcvarsall.bat) the
compilation fails at the first call to "lib" which cannot find the
mscrt.dll (spelling?) library.

I am very confident that you have it running, so I just need to figure
out how to get to your configuration :)

--
  Thorbjørn (who is now considering installing vmware to get to a varm,
comforting linux environment :)

Re: how to build Harmony on Windows (with minimum of commercial soft)

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.
Gregory Shimansky skrev  den 22-07-2006 23:57:
> classlib but I assure you that all I had installed was Visual Studio
> Express
> and Platform SDK, not even MASM because it was not available by that time.

Ok, thank you for replying.  I have now given up on this, so hopefully
others will get it sorted out.

Right now just keeping up with the Jones' on Linux is enough for me :)

--
  Thorbjørn

Re: how to build Harmony on Windows (with minimum of commercial soft)

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday 09 July 2006 14:54 Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Gregory Shimansky skrev  den 01-06-2006 23:34:
> > First I decided to use the current MS free software to repeat what is
> > done
> > by commercial. Nowdays MS offers VS.NET 2005 express edition (no earlier
> > verions are available for download as far as I could find) and
> > Platform SDK
> > Server 2003 R2 (at first I've downloaded an earlier one but later
> > upgraded
> > to 2006 year version). The VS 2005 brings some new nuisances which
> > software
> > written outside of Redmond wasn't ready for.
>
> I have now played a bit around with this, and I would like to have you
> confirm that the software above is the _ONLY_ Visual Studio stuff
> installed on your machine?
>
> The reason for this is that I have Visual Studio C++ Express, Platform
> Server 2003 SDK R2 (the latest I could find), and MASM installed on my
> XP box, and I cannot get a runnable deploy/.../jre/java.exe

(Sorry for a very late response, maybe it still may help you)

First I have to admit that I didn't try free MS toolchain since the time I
wrote the email describing how I built classlib with it. At that time I
thought that current free toolchain provided by MS is not really suitable and
switched completely to Linux. I think many things could have changed in
classlib but I assure you that all I had installed was Visual Studio Express
and Platform SDK, not even MASM because it was not available by that time.

> If I run first the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
> Server 2003 R2\SetEnv.cmd" /XP32 command and then the
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat" I can
> build all of classlib, but invoking deploy\jdk\jre\bin\java gives me the
> dreaded "Cannot find MSVCR8.DLL" dialogue box.

The library "MSVCR80.dll" is installed in windows\system directory for me so
it has to be accessible to any applications. This is what objdump -x shows to
me for java.exe compiled on uh... June 06... it's been quite a while since I
actually used windows toolchain for classlib.

> I tried looking around on the net for information how to fix this, and
> changing -MD to -MT did not change anything.   All this with manifests
> and dll is very strange to me so I'm giving up on that for the moment.

I can understand you, I am not a big windows expert myself.