Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David Brunkow <db...@truis.com> on 2001/08/18 02:42:33 UTC

MS Word serializer

Can anyone tell me if there are any plans to write an MS Word serializer?  I
want to conver XML to Word, not Word to XML.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: MS Word serializer

Posted by Jon Peterson <jo...@sdrc.com>.
I've recently run across a similar requirement and thought about writing to
Rich Text Format.  After looking around a bit, I saw that C1 actually had a
3rd party formatter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfor/) that would
transform fo to rtf.  I haven't seen any references for a port to C2, but
that would be the next step (it's been regisered as a feature request).
Until then, I'll look into what's been recommended below.

Jon

Posted by Max Dunn <ma...@siliconpublishing.com>.
>> Excuse me, but is there *anything* in Word XP that will facilitate
>> importing XML?  I haven't noticed such a feature.

> Word XP is _supposed_ to have XML integration.  Try exporting
> (or saving as...) a regular Word Document as XML and examine the
> contents.

> Keep in mind this solution is only for Word XP.

There is no "export to XML" or "Save as XML" in Word XP.  There is
output to HTML, which does contain a ton of pseudo-XML metadata, but
that is no different from Word 2000.

Back to Cocoon...

Max

Re: MS Word serializer

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

RE: MS Word serializer

Posted by Max Dunn <ma...@siliconpublishing.com>.

[C2] documentation error in the page "Session Logicsheet"

Posted by Drasko Kokic <dr...@yahoo.com>.
The page under the following URL:
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/logicsheet-sessions.html
is still having the old namespaces for the xsp,
session, etc.
How can we change this?
TIA
Drasko

C2 error in the page "Session Logicsheet"

Posted by Drasko Kokic <dr...@yahoo.com>.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

RE: MS Word serializer

Posted by Chris Bermillo <cb...@b-bop.com>.
The challenge with converting XML to Word lies in the serializer's ability
to interpret the tags into Word "objects".  How does a serializer interpret
the tag, <income>?  Is it a paragraph? Is it a field?  Is it a bookmark?  Is
it bold?  Is it italic?  etc...  These are the questions that the serializer
must answer and in all likelihood the XML will not provide any answers to.

The answer lies in a transformation of the XML into output XML that the
serializer can understand and interpret.  This does put the burden on the
intermediate transformation, but it allows the serializer to convert any and
all XML to Word.

BTW, we do have a product that converts XML to Word, Author wX.  It uses the
same concept I described above to do this.

Regards,

Chris
www.b-bop.com

Re: MS Word serializer

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Re: MS Word serializer

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, David Brunkow wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there are any plans to write an MS Word serializer?  I
> want to conver XML to Word, not Word to XML.

Haven't heard anybody will write something like that.

Giacomo