Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Dave Coventry <dg...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/13 13:44:26 UTC

Installing the POI jars for Netbeans

Hi,

I've downloaded the poi-3.5-FINAL jars and placed them in
/usr/share/java on my Ubuntu Karmic test machine. I have also copied
them to the same directory of my app.

My app declares "import org.apache.poi.hpsf.*;", but Netbeabs says
that "ipackage org.apache.poi.hpsf does not exist".

How can I rectify this?

Once I have my app working, I'm planning on putting it on a production
machine which has Debian Lenny installed.

Many Thanks,

Dave Coventry

Re: Installing the POI jars for Netbeans

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
There is a much more straightforward way to get to the Project Properties
screen. Simply;

Open NetBeans
Open the project.
Click on the File menu and from the drop down musn that opens select the
Project Properties option.

Then you can proceed as described in my previous message. Also, I forgot to
mention the 'Exclude From JAR File' field; I guess that it is obvious what
this fileds funtion is but I did not mention what to put into it. I use a
simple regex that looks like this - **/*.java,**/*.form - and I cannot claim
any credit for authorship, this is simply the default that NetBeans created
for me when I began using the package. I am guessing that you may need to
enter it manually after checking the Build JAR after Compiling check box.
Finally, the name of the JAR file should be defaulted into the top field as
it is not editable. I cannot believe that there is another location
somewhere that allows you to specify the folder the archive ought to be
created in; and of course the name of the JAR will be taken from the package
statement or location you specified for the project.

Hope this helps.

Yours

Mark B

Posted by Dave Coventry <dg...@gmail.com>.
Golly, Mike! Replying on Christmas eve?

We've both of us got to get a life!

Thanks for the instructions, by the way; worked a treat!

Re: Installing the POI jars for Netbeans

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Hello again Dave,

Sorry to hear you are still running into problems with Netbeans but this one
does sound like it might be a simple fix; famous last words?

I think that you need to check and modify your project properties. To do
this in 'my' version of Netbeans - I am currently using 6.5.1 - you need to
do the following;

Open Netbeans.
Open the project.
Click on 'Run' and from the drop down menu select the 'Set Project
Configuration' option.
This will open another sub-menu on which there are two choices. The first is
will be something like '<default config>' and the second will be
'Customize'.
Select the 'Customize' option and this will open up the 'Project Properties'
screen for you. Look into the left hand pane that will be headed
'Categories' and select the 'Packaging' option. If this option does not show
up then it is likely hidden under the 'Build' option in the tree amd you can
expand that by clicking on the plus sign that will be to the left of the
word 'Build'.
Once you have selected 'Packaging', you should see over in the right hand
portion of the screen a selection box that says something like 'Build JAR
After Compiling'. Make sure that this option is selected and then OK your
way out.

With luck, when you choose either to 'Build the Project' or 'Clean and Build
the Project' from the 'Run' menu again, the distribution should be built for
you.

Yours

Mark B

Posted by Dave Coventry <dg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Dave Coventry <dg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

2009/12/15 MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>:
> I thought about this overnight because I did not want what I say next to
> sound really patronising; anyway, here goes.

It's not a problem. I realise that there is always a possibility that
I could be a recognised computer science professor with thirty years
of working at the cutting edge under my belt, but you can rest
assured, this is not the case!

> When you deploy the application you are working on, you will not deploy the
> .java file as it contains the source code you have created. Rather, you will
> deploy the .class file which contains the pre-compiled bytecode that the JVM
> will load, compile into native code and then run. Also, you will need to
> make sure that the machine upon which your application runs has access to
> the POI archives because the JVM needs to locate, load and run one or more
> of the classes it contains. I am sure you knew all of this and that is why I
> worried about it sounding patronising, but when you said in you last message
> that you interest was in a single .java file that you planned to implement
> on another machine, I worried a bit.

Not to worry.

The other machine is a headless Debian box which will not be able to
have Netbeans installed.

Once I can be sure that the Java code is good, I'll copy it across to
the production machine and compile it there.

The reason I posted on here was that I couldn't be sure that my java
code had access to the jar libraries it needed; once I can move it on
the Production machine I shall be reasonably confident that it should
run, given access to the relevant libraries.

I will obviously make sure that these libraries are accessible to the code.

> Now, one of the easiest ways to achieve all of this is to use the contents
> of the dist sub-folder that Netbeans will create for you. It will create an
> archive that contains your class and ensure that the other archives your
> application needs are copied into it's lib sub-folder. All you then need to
> do is copy this over to the host machone and your application ought to run.

That's great news; I shall definitely give that a go.

> Of course, you do not have to use this structure and there are good reasons
> not to do so; you can copy the POI archive into a different folder even on
> another machine as long as you ensure that it is accessible to your
> application at runtime. It is quite likely that you will need to set the
> -classpath environment variable to ensure that the JVM can locate the
> resources it requires at runtime. I work almost exclusivly on Windows and
> use .bat files (batch files) extensively to run applications as they allow
> me to create instructions such as this;
>
> "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java" -classpath ".;..;" -jar
> "C:\Work Area\Programming\Java\Development\Netbeans\Neat\File
> Processor\dist\File_Processor.jar"
>
> and set the -classpath the application uses when it is executed. Sadly, I do
> not know if such a mechanism exists on Linux but suspect that it does.

Yes it doe. I shall certainly try to implement it when I get my app working.

Thanks again,

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Hello Dave,

Posted by Dave Coventry <dg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Morning Dave,

Posted by Hannes Erven <h....@gmx.at>.
Dave,

> I have a feeling I'm going to find it difficult to imp[lement on my
> Debian Production system.

It might actually be easier for you to get the final program running
that to configure NetBeans to do what you want ;-)

If you have any issues, post back. Most probably anyone a bit familiar
with Java will be able to help you.

As a first hint, be sure to include the -classpath option in your call
to java with the POI jar in it, e.g.

java -classpath ".:/path/to/poi.jar:/any/other/path/otherlib.jar"
your.programs.class

or put the jar in the same folder as your program's binaries (that is,
on the same level as the "your" folder in the above example).

Best regards,

	-hannes

Re: Installing the POI jars for Netbeans

Posted by Hannes Erven <h....@gmx.at>.
Dave,

>> My app declares "import org.apache.poi.hpsf.*;", but Netbeabs says
>> that "ipackage org.apache.poi.hpsf does not exist".

most probably you'll need to add the libraries to the project's class
path in NetBeans. The install location (whether the app lib, your home
dir, or /usr/share/...) does not matter as long as the project is
correctly configured.

I'm not familiar with NetBeans, but I guess this link will help you
configure your project:
http://javahowto.blogspot.com/2006/06/set-classpath-in-eclipse-and-netbeans.html

-hannes

Re: Installing the POI jars for Netbeans

Posted by Dave Coventry <dg...@gmail.com>.
I really can't think of anything else to try.

I'm loading more and more stuff onto the machine and I'm pretty sure
that this is not the way to go as I'm probably going to get conflicts
and the installation is going to break.