Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by JP Kelly <li...@jpkvideo.net> on 2011/03/06 19:51:35 UTC

AWL scoring positive?

I just found an incoming message which is ham but marked as spam.
It received a score of 14 because it is in the auto white-list.
Shouldn't it receive a negative score?

pts rule name              description
-4.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED      RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, medium
                            trust
                           [72.21.212.35 listed in list.dnswl.org]
-2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
                           [score: 0.0000]
 14 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 22:32:02 +0100
Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 12:48 -0800, JP Kelly wrote:
> > I'm not familiar enough to tell if an address is forged or not.
> > Here is the scoring from one of the spam messages from
> > autoconfirm@amazon.com which I suspect tainted AWL:
>
> Nope. The originating IP isn't even close to the Amazon net-block, let
> alone in the same /16.

Unless the AWL has changed, it's based on the first non-private IP
address, which is usually not trustworthy and in this case is a forged
amazon address.

I haven't checked recently, there was some talk of changing it to the
first trusted address. Either nothing happened or this is an old SA
version.

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 12:48 -0800, JP Kelly wrote:
> I'm not familiar enough to tell if an address is forged or not. Here is
> the scoring from one of the spam messages from autoconfirm@amazon.com
> which I suspect tainted AWL:

Nope. The originating IP isn't even close to the Amazon net-block, let
alone in the same /16.

Kind of start wondering which internal / trusted networks you just
added...

> 1.5 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>                            [95.134.111.12 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]

>   by mail.smallgod.net with SMTP; 22 Aug 2010 06:47:55 -0600
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your MX, I assume?

You cannot trust Received headers beyond this. The from is the last
trustworthy information.

> Received-SPF: unknown (mail.smallgod.net: domain at spf.smallgod.net does not designate permitted sender hosts)

Uhm, doesn't that mean the Envelope From is from YOUR domain? Yeah, that
would be forged. ;)  You didn't include the Return-Path header in your
snippet, though.

> 	by server94.appriver.com with asmtp
> 	id 8064CA-0003F6-18;
> 	for <ho...@jpkvideo.net>; Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:47:34 +0200

The receiving server has address 204.232.236.150. Compare that to the
machine your MX has received the message from. This entire Received
header is forged, and the dial-up IP above is the originator.

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by JP Kelly <li...@jpkvideo.net>.
I'm not familiar enough to tell if an address is forged or not.
Here is the scoring from one of the spam messages from autoconfirm@amazon.com which I suspect tainted AWL:

pts rule name              description
1.9 URIBL_AB_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
                           [URIs: bestcomputerized.com]
1.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
                           [URIs: bestcomputerized.com]
1.5 URIBL_JP_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
                           [URIs: bestcomputerized.com]
3.5 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
                           [URIs: bestcomputerized.com]
4.0 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                           [score: 1.0000]
2.5 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2   Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP addr
                           2)
1.0 FH_HELO_EQ_D_D_D_D     Helo is d-d-d-d
1.5 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
                           [95.134.111.12 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
4.1 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
3.0 URIBL_SBL              Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
                           [URIs: bestcomputerized.com]
3.0 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
                           [URIs: bestcomputerized.com]
              [Blocked - see <http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?95.134.111.12>]
1.5 RDNS_DYNAMIC           Delivered to trusted network by host with
                           dynamic-looking rDNS

--- and the headers:

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:47:34 +0200
From: "auto-confirm@amazon.com" <au...@amazon.com>
To: <ho...@jpkvideo.net>
Subject: Your Order with Amazon.com

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by JP Kelly <li...@jpkvideo.net>.

Re: Describing "AWL"

Posted by Lucio Chiappetti <lu...@lambrate.inaf.it>.
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Adam Katz wrote:

> Even if we don't change what "AWL" means,

Curious that in English "awl" is a tool of the shoe-maker (in italian
called "lesina" : since it was used to cut off tiny pieces, it even
generated a verb "lesinare" which means to save money at the point to be
stingy ... the expression "awl policy" was used in late '800 to indicate
the government policy of (selective) public expenditure cuts ... see the
reference in my signature)  :-)

Italian Research at risk.                La Ricerca italiana a rischio !
see http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/nobrain.html cfr.

Re: Describing "AWL"

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

> I also have some thoughts about discarding "hammers" at the end of that
> document.

if awl had unixtime stamp for last change time, one could add time test
for at least x days where its was score aveageing, but if less then x days
dont give negative for ham

that would hardened it more to be more strong, btw is it really not a
simple ip reputation based with email senders ?

if not whar changes are needed so ?`

Re: Describing "AWL"

Posted by Dennis German <DG...@Real-World-Systems.com>.
On 03/06/2011 11:33 AM, Karsten Br�ckelmann wrote:
 >>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay
 >>>
 >>> Despite its name, the AWL is a score averager, based on the sender's
 >>> history (limited by net-block).
 >> I encountered that misconception so much that I altered its description
 >> it in my local.cf:
 >> describe AWL Adjust score towards average for this sender
 >> As a reminder, SVN trunk uses:
 >> describe AWL From: address is in the auto white-list
 >> Even if we don't change what "AWL" means, we don't need to spell it out
 >> as often. Cleaning up the docs would certainly be useful, but simply
 >> changing the description would cover most of the ground for us.
 > Open a boog for it.

I prefer to call AWL HEAT ( Heuristic Email Address Tracking )

You might be interested in my version of a utility sa-heatu documented at

http://www.real-world-systems.com/mail/sa-heatu.html

I have tried to clarify how HEAT works at
http://www.real-world-systems.com/mail/sa-heatu.html#backgrnd

which adds aging so as to loose old entries otherwise kept forever.

I also have some thoughts about discarding "hammers" at the end of that
document.

Any feedback on this would be welcome.
Dennis German

Re: Describing "AWL"

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Adam Katz wrote:

> On 03/06/2011 11:33 AM, Karsten Br�ckelmann wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 10:51 -0800, JP Kelly wrote:
>>> I just found an incoming message which is ham but marked as spam.
>>> It received a score of 14 because it is in the auto white-list.
>>> Shouldn't it receive a negative score?
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay
>>
>> Despite its name, the AWL is a score averager, based on the sender's
>> history (limited by net-block).
>
> I encountered that misconception so much that I altered its description
> it in my local.cf:
>
> describe AWL	Adjust score towards average for this sender
>
> As a reminder, SVN trunk uses:
>
> describe AWL	From: address is in the auto white-list
>

> Even if we don't change what "AWL" means, we don't need to spell it out
> as often.  Cleaning up the docs would certainly be useful, but simply
> changing the description would cover most of the ground for us.

Open a boog for it.

   Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute
   an emergency on my part.                 -- David W. Barts in a.s.r
  6 days until Daylight Saving Time begins in U.S. - Spring Forward

Describing "AWL"

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 10:51 -0800, JP Kelly wrote:
> I just found an incoming message which is ham but marked as spam.
> It received a score of 14 because it is in the auto white-list.
> Shouldn't it receive a negative score?

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay

Despite its name, the AWL is a score averager, based on the sender's
history (limited by net-block).

Given the rather high AWL score, this sender previously scored even much
higher. You (or the sender) didn't happen to use it for sending some
"test spam", checking SA is working?

As a quick fix, I'd remove the AWL record for that address. Also see the
spamassassin-run man-page.

  spamasassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist=user@example.net

> Content analysis details:   (7.1 points, 5.0 required)
>
> pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
> -4.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED      RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, medium
>                             trust
>                            [72.21.212.35 listed in list.dnswl.org]
> -2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>                            [score: 0.0000]
>  14 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

Re: AWL scoring positive?

Posted by Da...@chaosreigns.com.
Not necessarily.  AWL both increases and decreases scores, based on
previous emails: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist

On 03/06, JP Kelly wrote:
> I just found an incoming message which is ham but marked as spam.
> It received a score of 14 because it is in the auto white-list.
> Shouldn't it receive a negative score?
>
> Content analysis details:   (7.1 points, 5.0 required)
>
> pts rule name              description
> -4.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED      RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, medium
>                             trust
>                            [72.21.212.35 listed in list.dnswl.org]
> -2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>                            [score: 0.0000]
>  14 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

--
"Whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad."
- Euripides (c.480 - 406 BC).