Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Au <bi...@cnet.com> on 2000/12/04 21:59:22 UTC

ContextManager:SocketException reading request, ignored???

I just finished building the production release of Tomcat 3.2.
Everything seems to work
but I keep getting the following Java exception.  I have been told this
is caused by the
client disconnecting too soon.  But I am the only one accessing the
server, and I know
for sure that I did not hit the "stop" button on the browser.  I even
tried the binary release
of Tomcat 3.2 but got the same results.

This seems to occur when I request a URL for a directory that gets
translated to an
"index.html".  For example, if I go to "http://localhost:8080/examples",
I will also get
the Java exception when I click on either "jsp" or "servlets" (both get
translated to
it respective index.html) but not when I click on "images" (which gives
a directory
listing since there is no index.html).  I can generate the Java
exception by placing
an "index.html" under the "images" directory.

Is there anyway for me to get rid of these error messages.  Even though
they are harmless,
if too many of them show up, they will "crowd" out the harmful ones that
require
attention.  Besides, they would increase the size of the log file
unnecessarily.

Bill

2000-12-04 03:42:46 - ContextManager: SocketException reading request,
ignored - java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAvailable(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.available(PlainSocketImpl.java:429)
        at
java.net.SocketInputStream.available(SocketInputStream.java:141)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)