Posted to dev@helix.apache.org by William Morgan <wi...@morgan-fam.com> on 2022/08/01 16:48:14 UTC

Adding JMX exporter configuration to main branch of Helix

Hi Folks,

At the company I work for, we chose to use Helix to manage our application and we've begun making it ready for production. Internally we use prometheus for metrics, which necessitates the usage of the prometheus jmx exporter to get the metrics out of helix into prometheus. I've successfully exported all metrics from helix to prometheus using a jmx exporter config that was non-trivial to make. I have 2 questions:

  1.  Would there be an appetite to bring this config file into the helix repo to prevent others from having to go through the same process I have?
  2.  If so, where would it live within the repo?

The only speed bump I can think of is there would be an implicit dependency of if there are new metrics added internally to prometheus that didn't fit an existing pattern, we would miss them unless that person also updated the file. Or if someone notices out of band and updates the file in a seperate commit.

Thanks,

Will