Posted to dev@htrace.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2014/12/31 22:01:24 UTC

[VOTE] htrace-3.1.0, fifth release candidate

I've posted our fifth release candidate here (Thanks all for finding issues
in previous RCs):

  http://people.apache.org/~stack/htrace-3.1.0RC4/

Maven artifacts are available here:

 https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehtrace-1006

RC4 has 4 fixes beyond RC3.

It is a src-only tarball for now. Later we can add binary bundles to our
release after we have better sense of what we as a project would like to
deliver.

This release is mainly a change of packaging from org.htrace to
org.apache.htrace to suit our new home here in Apache Incubator but it does
also includes 32 resolved issues [1] including the beginnings of an htrace
daemon whose intent is to make it so there is a low barrier collecting
cluster traces as well as a new flume receiver.

Beware that Apache Incubator, org.apache.htrace is not compatible with its
former self, org.htrace: the package name has changed but so has the JSON
serialization format.

Shall we make this release candidate our first incubator release?

Lets keep the vote period short (We'll have to run another vote over in
incubator general after this one if I understand the process properly).

Please vote +1/0/-1 by Friday, January 2nd, 2015.

Thanks,
St.Ack

1.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HTRACE%20AND%20status%20%3D%20resolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.1.0%20ORDER%20BY%20issuetype%20DESC

Re: [VOTE] htrace-3.1.0, fifth release candidate

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I have 796e2438fafac3510938c1f987fadd27eef6c063, but it doesn't appear to
> > be tagged.  Maybe the tag still needs to be pushed or something?
> >

> Its pushed. See tags here:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git
>

> > Regarding the binary files, I don't think they can be included in a
> > src-only tarball.
> >

> You are right. I misread it as you asking about the top-level bin dir.
> Clean must not be removing them or I need to add an exclude to the
> assembly.
>

> > Going down the release checklist (
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list),
> it
> > looks as though we're okay on most of the points, but we're missing the
> > disclaimer,
>

> You are right.
>

> > the filenames don't have "incubating" in them (I've seen other
> > podlings handle this by adding -incubating to the version number, e.g.
> > 3.1.0-incubating), and the release doesn't consist only of source code.
> >

> Sorry, what you saying in the last bit Billie ("... and the release doesn't
> consist only of source code")  Are you saying we should do a binary tarball
> too?

No, a source tarball is fine.  I was just referring to the compiled files
in htrace-core/src/go/bin.  If those are removed I think we'll be able to
check off this item.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
I have 796e2438fafac3510938c1f987fadd27eef6c063, but it doesn't appear to
be tagged.  Maybe the tag still needs to be pushed or something?
Regarding the binary files, I don't think they can be included in a
src-only tarball.

Going down the release checklist (
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list), it
looks as though we're okay on most of the points, but we're missing the
disclaimer, the filenames don't have "incubating" in them (I've seen other

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
Sorry for the delay; I'm just getting back from vacation and am taking a
look now.  Do we have a KEYS file?  Is there a tag for the release
candidate?  The tarball doesn't quite match what is in git, so how is the
tarball created from the tag?  Also are the binary files in

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1

verified signature
checked sha1 checksum
built on CentOS7, apache-maven-3.2.5, java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.71, go1.4
ran "mvn test" and passed all tests

Masatake Iwasaki

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Verified sig and md5.

Undid tar and was able to build new tarball from it.

St.Ack