Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2011/01/12 15:47:35 UTC

Re: code contribution licensing question

Re: code contribution licensing question

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
In practical terms, if it's big enough to be a library on github with
a category A license, VCL can just depend on it.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Jennifer O'Neill <je...@gmail.com>.
The purpose of having all committers sign the ICLA is so that all "Apache"
code is licensed uniformly and ASF is better protected if there's a
challenge to the ownership of the IP.
If a developer wishes to contribute some material amount of code but can't
sign the ICLA, then his/her code contribution is evaluated just like any
other third-party code licensed under terms other than the ASL v.2.0.  I
assume that by the modified BSD, you mean the newer version that excludes
the advertising clause.  This license is compatible with the ASL v.2.0 and
there are certainly a number of Apache projects with dependencies on
BSD-licensed code.  Ultimately, though, it is up to the VCL project
committers whether to use any third-party code.

If a developer wants to contribute a patch or bug fix through Bugzilla or
the developers' mailing list, both of those forums require that the
developer first electronically agree that ASL v.2.0 will apply to the
submission.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Kevan alluded to this, is your employer familiar with the ASL v2.0  ?  Perhaps a quick review by the legal team would alleviate any concerns on your employers part.  Also, Apache does not really recognize corporations as contributing code (apart from a corporate contribution which is generally more substantial than patches) so your work is considered as an individual.  That said, you need to work out what you do on your time and if its acceptable with your employer.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu