Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com> on 2014/11/05 17:02:35 UTC

Appropriate way to add a debug flag

Hello all – I am working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3694 and would like to understand the appropriate mechanism by which to check for a debug flag before printing a graph traversal of dependencies of an RDD or Task. I understand that I can use the logging utility and use logDebug to actually print the output but the graph traversal should not be executed unless the debug output is enabled. The code changes I will be making will be in the DAGScheduler and TaskSetManager classes.

Modifying the function interfaces does not seem like the appropriate approach . Is there an existing debug flag that is set somehow within the spark config?

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

RE: Appropriate way to add a debug flag

Posted by "Ganelin, Ilya" <Il...@capitalone.com>.
That perspective - identifying the non serializable components - is actually very helpful. I'll look into figuring out a way to do this. Thanks !

From: Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM
To: "Ganelin, Ilya" <il...@capitalone.com>>

This is timely, since I’ve actually been hacking on some related stuff in order to debug whether unexpected objects are being pulled into closures.  Here’s some code to print a graphviz DOT file that shows the graph of non-transient, non-primitive objects reachable from a given object: https://gist.github.com/JoshRosen/d6a8972c99992e97d040

For enabling / disabling automatic logging of this, I suppose that you could add a configuration option to SparkConf.

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.