Posted to community@apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2002/10/27 17:14:28 UTC

Re: open-community list

10/26/2002 8:12:51 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>Actually, I'd propose that community be pre-loaded with
> members@ and comitters@ and be opt-in for anyone else
> interested in the ASF community.

Why not just let open Members to anyone with an Apache account?

Or has this idea already been up for a vote recently?

An important aspect of the lists is procreation. The open DEV
lists encourages contributors, some of which evolve into
Committers. Without the open DEV lists, many projects would
start to wither away.

If the Committers were permitted to join Members, it would
encourage more Comitters to become Members (assuming that more
Members is a goal).

-Ted.

Re: open-community list

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ted Husted wrote:

> Why not just let open Members to anyone with an Apache account?

well, for one thing, it wouldn't be the members list anymore, would
it?  For another thing, there are things that concern the members of
the corporation that don't concern anyone else.  moving things that
need visibility to the right place is, imnsho, a better solution
than warping the existing structure so that it no longer aligns with its
original purposes.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"