Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jayaram Gokulan <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/01 15:53:12 UTC

lenya cforms

A new bee question, on how to embed cforms in lenya?
Or any forms that can interact with a database and display results on the page.

thanks,
Jayaram

Re: lenya cforms

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
>> Can u please provide me a step by step instruction if you don't mind,
>> with a clear example.

Yes, I can. If you can wait 2-3 days.

Alternatively, I can send you an (incomplete) example if your mailbox can
cope with a tar of about 300 KB. I am not sure if I should post it on the
list.

Torsten

Re: lenya cforms

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
>> This is a good starting point.

To understand CForms as such - yes. But it does not answer any of the Lenya
related questions.

Torsten

Re: lenya cforms

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

Re: lenya cforms

Posted by Jayaram Gokulan <ka...@yahoo.com>.

Re: lenya cforms

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 22:54, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Jayaram Gokulan wrote:
>
> > A new bee question, on how to embed cforms in lenya? Or any forms
> > that can interact with a database and display results on the page.
>
> Sure you can embed cforms in lenya.  But you have to remember that
> lenya is used only to author xml documents.  Its not a development
> environment.

Indeed, not yet :) I agree with u and think cforms markup should be
based on more high level document semantics. See my other mail.

> So you can use lenya to create the xml required in your documents
> but you'll need to write the other components (flowscript and data
> model) in the normal cocoon way.

Yep.

--
Rolf Kulemann

AW: lenya cforms

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

>> Sure you can embed cforms in lenya.  But you have to remember that lenya
>> is used only to author xml documents.  Its not a development environment.

>> So you can use lenya to create the xml required in your documents but
>> you'll need to write the other components (flowscript and data model) in
>> the normal cocoon way.

This answer is technically entirely correct, but I am not sure if it is
useful. (Not blaming anyone!)

I cannot see how Lenya might add value to creating the XML documents that
you need for CForms at all. I am happy for any answer on that. But on the
other hand what most people want is to have their forms and flow seamlessly
integrated into their publication and they want to run it from Lenya just as
the "Live" view.

First of all, you need to add some sitemap components. See
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/CFormsInLenyaHowto. The next steps will
be to define an appropriate custom doctype (see
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/AddingCustomDocType) and find a way to
hide some of the pages you need in your flow from the sitemap navigation.

At least this is how I solved that. I had posted this on the developer's
list, but got not comments at all. I am not sure if silence means agreement.

I hope to find the time to finish the above mentioned CForms Howto tomorrow
or at least this week, but I have some other Lenya issue that I am working
on and that has a higher priority.

Let me know if the above documents are of any help to you. I will happily
post my sample application as soon as it's finished. If you feel you are
experienced enough with Lenya I can also sent it in the state it is and you
find the (final) error that I haven't found yet. (Some namespace / XSLT
issues.)

Torsten

Re: lenya cforms

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.