Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2018/09/11 09:17:27 UTC

[VOTE] Release calcite-avatica-go-3.2.0 (release candidate 0)

Hi all,

I have created a release for Apache Calcite Avatica Go 3.2.0, release
candidate 0.

The release notes are available here:
https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica-go/blob/master/site/_docs/go_history.md

The commit to be voted on:
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/calcite-avatica-go/commit/0a166d5f48dba88f5f3a0a1582b4ea7a994fff8c

The hash is 0a166d5f48dba88f5f3a0a1582b4ea7a994fff8c

The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/calcite/apache-calcite-avatica-go-3.2.0-rc0/

The hashes of the artifacts are as follows:

src.tar.gz 682C40E8 EBD5748B 12C61E5D FF42B02E 1A5FCED0 6C070E61 1872DFCC A66104B5

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/francischuang.asc

Instructions for running the test suite is located here:
https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica-go/blob/master/site/develop/avatica-go.md#testing

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Calcite Avatica Go 3.2.0.

To run the tests without a Go environment, install docker and docker-compose. Then, in the root of the release's directory, run:
docker-compose up --build

The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of
at least three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Calcite Avatica Go 3.2.0
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Here is my vote:

+1 (binding)

Francis

Re: [VOTE] Release calcite-avatica-go-3.2.0 (release candidate 0)

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

* Checked signatures and checksums and README
* Build and tests pass
* Nothing major reported on
https://goreportcard.com/report/github.com/apache/calcite-avatica-go
* LICENSE and NOTICE looks good

Kevin Risden

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release calcite-avatica-go-3.2.0 (release candidate 0)

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Thanks to everyone who has tested the release candidate and given their
comments and votes.

The tally is as follows.

3 binding +1s:
Francis Chuang
Josh Elser
Kevin Risden
Michael Mior

No 0s or -1s.

Therefore I am delighted to announce that the proposal to release Apache
Calcite Avatica Go 3.2.0 has passed.

Thanks everyone. We’ll now roll the release out to the mirrors.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Michael!

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Thanks for looking into this, Michael.

I was able to reproduce this by running it in Ubuntu 18.04 on Hyper-V
(allocated 4GB RAM) using my Core i7 920 machine with 12GB RAM.

In tmp/tephra- in the Phoenix container, I can see that tephra does not
start correctly:

2018-09-14 00:03:14,047 INFO  [DefaultMetricsCollector STARTING]
metrics.DefaultMetricsCollector
(DefaultMetricsCollector.java:startUp(108)) - Started metrics reporter
2018-09-14 00:03:15,353 WARN  [HDFSTransactionStateStorage STARTING]
util.NativeCodeLoader (NativeCodeLoader.java:<clinit>(60)) - Unable to
load native-hadoop library for your platform... using builtin-java
classes where applicable
Exception in thread "HDFSTransactionStateStorage STARTING"
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.util.KerberosUtil.hasKerberosKeyTab(Ljavax/security/auth/Subject;)Z
2018-09-14 00:03:16,085 INFO  [leader-election-tx.service-leader]
distributed.TransactionService (TransactionService.java:leader(115)) -
Transaction Thrift Service didn't start on /0.0.0.0:15165
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.<init>(UserGroupInformation.java:715)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.loginUserFromSubject(UserGroupInformation.java:925)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.getLoginUser(UserGroupInformation.java:873)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.getCurrentUser(UserGroupInformation.java:740)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache$Key.<init>(FileSystem.java:3472)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.getUnique(FileSystem.java:3310)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.newInstance(FileSystem.java:529)
at
org.apache.tephra.persist.HDFSTransactionStateStorage.startUp(HDFSTransactionStateStorage.java:104)
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractIdleService$1$1.run(AbstractIdleService.java:43)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Exception in thread "ThriftRPCServer"
com.google.common.util.concurrent.ExecutionError:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.util.KerberosUtil.hasKerberosKeyTab(Ljavax/security/auth/Subject;)Z
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures.wrapAndThrowUnchecked(Futures.java:1008)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures.getUnchecked(Futures.java:1001)
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractService.startAndWait(AbstractService.java:220)
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractIdleService.startAndWait(AbstractIdleService.java:106)
at org.apache.tephra.TransactionManager.doStart(TransactionManager.java:245)
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractService.start(AbstractService.java:170)
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractService.startAndWait(AbstractService.java:220)
at
org.apache.tephra.distributed.TransactionServiceThriftHandler.init(TransactionServiceThriftHandler.java:249)
at org.apache.tephra.rpc.ThriftRPCServer.startUp(ThriftRPCServer.java:177)
at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutionThreadService$1$1.run(AbstractExecutionThreadService.java:47)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
[...]
... 1 more

For me, this only happens for me when using a hypervisor with bad
performance (Hyper-V).

I did find PHOENIX-4886 [1], but our errors were different. However, I
am now pretty sure the root cause is due to tephra (part of phoenix) not
starting correctly.

I will comment on PHOENIX-4886 with my logs, but I don't think there's
anything can I do on my side to solve this. My only suggestion is to see
if you can find another beefier machine to run the Phoenix tests.

Francis

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-4886

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.