Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by COURTAULT Francois <fr...@thalesgroup.com> on 2019/10/17 13:43:34 UTC

Is there a way to control the max number of requests in the queue ?

Hello everyone,

In TomEE/Tomcat, there is a way to control the max number of parallel requests by setting maxThreads attribute value in Executor.

So, in a scenario where the number of concurrent requests exceeds this value, the requests are queued, right ?
Is there a way to control the size of this queue so that if the number of requests (the ones in // plus we reach the max size of this queue),  any new request is rejected with a 503 status code ?

Best Regards.

________________________________

Re: Is there a way to control the max number of requests in the queue ?

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
> So, in a scenario where the number of concurrent requests exceeds this
value, the requests are queued, right ?

I don't know if that's correct. I'd have to dig into the Tomcat code and
check (I'd probably want to test it as well).

> new request is rejected with a 503 status code

The server would have to accept (process) the request in order to return a
response code.

What I've normally seen is people put a load balancer or proxy in front of
Tomcat / TomEE. If that proxy isn't able to get a connection accepted, it
would try another node (if there is one), or the proxy itself would return
a 503.

I'll try and find some time to double-check for you, but the use-case
sounds unusual to me - accepting requests and putting them in a queue in a
busy/overloaded system doesn't sound like a good way to get the best
throughput.

If you have a sample config and test case, that would help.

Jon

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <fr...@thalesgroup.com>.
Hello,