Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/11 00:28:26 UTC

Location of changelog, installer files?

Where in the standard maven directory layout should I put the changelog
for my app (changelog.txt)?

Where should I put files that are used only by the installer? These are
files that are needed at build time, but shouldn't be distributed. They
include the XML file that tells the install tool how to build the
release, and a few JPGs used on the installer screens.

Where should I put the script used by our obfuscator?

It looks like files like readme.txt and license.txt go in the root of
the project, but I don't feel comfortable putting files other than
changelog.txt there. Perhaps in src/test/resources?

Re: Location of changelog, installer files?

Posted by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>.
On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:28 PM, Chris wrote:

> Where in the standard maven directory layout should I put the
> changelog for my app (changelog.txt)?

I'm not sure about a standard, but we put internal documentation in
src/main/doc/development.

> Where should I put files that are used only by the installer? These
> are files that are needed at build time, but shouldn't be
> distributed. They include the XML file that tells the install tool
> how to build the release, and a few JPGs used on the installer
> screens.

We use the Assembly plugin and install4j to build an installer, and we
put the Assembly descriptors into src/assembly and the install4j files
(e.g., icons) into src/install4j.

> Where should I put the script used by our obfuscator?

We use Zelix KlassMaster and have a src/zkm directory.

> It looks like files like readme.txt and license.txt go in the root
> of the project, but I don't feel comfortable putting files other
> than changelog.txt there. Perhaps in src/test/resources?

We put end-user documentation into src/main/doc/deployment.

Again, I don't know if these are the "standard" conventions; it's just
what we use.

Trevor