Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Zarko Hristovski <za...@binaris.no> on 2016/01/29 12:02:24 UTC

geolocation getCurrentPosition and disabled location services

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone knows of a solution to the following case regarding
cordova-plugin-geolocation.

The use case is when an app/user needs to access geoposition while
device's location services are disabled. Let's say for the first time /
attempt.
While I've been able to find a way to send the user directly to the
system setting on Android (via cordova-diagnostic-plugin's
switchToLocationSettings),
it seems to be no obvious way to achieve the same on iOS with the
plugin(s) at present.

I'll point you to two existing threads that explain in more detail so
that I don't repeat myself here:

-
https://forum.ionicframework.com/t/ios-plugin-for-sending-user-to-settings-privacy-location-services

- https://github.com/dpa99c/cordova-diagnostic-plugin/issues/31

Thanks,
Zarko

Re: geolocation getCurrentPosition and disabled location services

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

The dialog you talk about is shown by the system when you try use the
CLLocationManager startUpdatingLocation and the permissions are off.
The way the geolocation plugin is built, it checks the permissions first,
and if they are off it doesn't call the CLLocationManager
startUpdatingLocation.
You can send a feature request on http://issues.cordova.io/ asking for a
new feature on the geolocation plugin to force the use of the
CLLocationManager startUpdatingLocation even if the permissions are off,
that should show the message you want (didn't try).