Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by jason <ja...@bioteam.net> on 2009/09/29 04:17:28 UTC

svn status format change

Hi, All
I have a perl script parsing output from svn status. In the old version,
the eighth column  "*" indicates whether the file is out dated or not.
But it becomes 9th column in new version (1.6.2).
Is there a way I can decide whether it is new format or old format so I
can take appropriate parsing action?

thanks
-jason

Re: svn status format change

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.
jason wrote:
> I have a perl script parsing output from svn status. In the old version,
> the eighth column  "*" indicates whether the file is out dated or not.
> But it becomes 9th column in new version (1.6.2).

I have a python script, and probably for the same reason switched to
"svn status --xml" output. It was just a little investment to crank up the
python minidom parser, and you get more readable, backward compatible and
future proof code to access the various bits and pieces. I bet in perl too
xml is easier then trying to make your script keep up with svn versions.

--
Stein