Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> on 2008/06/09 05:12:10 UTC

Re: svn commit: r31639 - branches/issue-3000/www

kfogel@tigris.org writes:
> Log:
> On the issue-3000-dev branch:
>
> Completely revamp the web site, using the plan in README.branch.
>
> This is a draft; severe bikeshedding both desired and expected :-).

I'd like to make this be the live web site, and work on it in trunk from
this point on.  (I might tweak/reduce the left-side vertical nav bar
first, but that's easy.)

Any objections?  It's far from perfect, but I think it's already better
than what what's live right now.

-Karl

Re: svn commit: r31639 - branches/issue-3000/www

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Andrés G. Aragoneses wrote:
> I will advocate for the inclusion in the front page when it reaches
> almost feature parity with TortoiseSVN :) (although that's a high point
> to reach)

Feature parity isn't really the right comparison point to use here.  We have
only so much screen real estate to offer.  So, I'd say we'd consider adding
it to the front page which it reaches popularity parity (heh...) with the
other tools provided.

"No fair!", you shout, rightly noticing that a tool might in fact gain
popularity by being featured prominently in such lists of tools.

Sorry.  Them's the breaks.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: svn commit: r31639 - branches/issue-3000/www

Posted by "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <kn...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it's much clearer now, thanks Julian and C.Michael.

	Andrés

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
I have to say, I'm a bit fuzzy on the policy here, too.

Things I know:

    * We don't want to be in the business of listing every single application
      that claims Subversion support.

    * We don't want to appear to endorse one IDE/3rd-party-client over
      another -- users can form their own opinions.

Had I to construct this policy right now, I'd say that (especially on a
'links' page) the primary deliverable is useful links, not a list of
software.  We should be focused on providing links to Subversion-centric
third-party tools, IDEs, and IDE add-ons that are of obvious benefit to
users.  If a standard installation of some IDE includes Subversion, we don't
need to list it.  If, however, the Subversion support in some IDE or tool is
an add-on not included in a standard installation, then there is value to
users of that IDE in us providing a link to the place where they can get
that add-on.  Notice that the distinction here isn't about whether the
Subversion support comes via a plug-in or add-on (modular development isn't
exactly a new concept).  The distinction is about whether that plug-in is
something folks might find themselves having to locate on the Web themselves
because it isn't part of the standard installation of their tool of choice.

Posted by "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:40 +0200, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" wrote:
[...]

Posted by "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <kn...@gmail.com>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Hyrum K. Wright wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 at 08:07 -0700:
>> Is http://www.monodevelop.org/ live?  I can't seem to connect to it, and I'm
>> not in favor of adding dead links to our site.
>>

> I can connect to it, and the front page seems live.

Yeah, casually it went down this morning but I've seen it working for
years (I'm a MonoDevelop contributor). So please, can someone commit?

Thanks,

	Andrés

Re: svn commit: r31639 - branches/issue-3000/www

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.

Posted by "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:58:08AM +0300, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Karl Fogel wrote on Mon, 9 Jun 2008 at 01:12 -0400:
> > kfogel@tigris.org writes:
> > > Log:
> > > On the issue-3000-dev branch:
> > >
> > > Completely revamp the web site, using the plan in README.branch.
> > >
> > > This is a draft; severe bikeshedding both desired and expected :-).
>
> (the draft is online at
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/issue-3000/www/index.html)

lol

To report a bug:

First, please read the bug report instructions.

Then, please read the bug report instructions.

Finally, please read the bug report instructions.

That totally has to go live! :D

Stefan

Re: svn commit: r31639 - branches/issue-3000/www

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.