Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Anthony Waddell <an...@syskeys.com> on 2008/07/02 10:53:44 UTC

Solution on a Memory Stick?

Greetings
I was about to start developing an app that is to be used in various
remote rural areas with little/no internet connectivity. The data
generated in these sites needs to be replicated back to a central
database.  I was going to do it in Notes/Domino, running the app on a
memory stick that could then be taken by the remote worker to their
nearest town, zapped into a workstation with internet access, and so
replicated to the central server.  Now I'm wondering if I should do it
in Couchdb instead?

Some questions:
- can it run an instance (programme and data) on a memory stick?
- does this sound feasible in this environment?
- Is Couchdb ready for showtime in an environment like this.  I need
to feel confident that these isolated offices that are a long way from
any help are going to get a robust solution

The app itself is a case management system (which I intend to keep
fairly simple)

Any input or pointers to relevant resources will be appreciated

Thanks, Anthony
(P.S. Newbie....so apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum)

Re: Solution on a Memory Stick?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jul 3, 2008, at 09:25, Anthony Waddell wrote:

> Thanks for the response
>
> I guess I can handle security of the database by putting some kind of
> lock on on the memory stick, or the entire app, but what about
> replication.  I understand it now replicates on port 80:
> - is it robust?

It is robust, but it could be faster than it is now.

> - Any ideas how could I encrypt the transmission over public access
> networks?

A VPN, an ssh tunnel or, if you can set it up, use https.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Anthony Waddell <an...@syskeys.com>.
Thanks for the response