Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karen Goh <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/05/12 02:39:42 UTC

Does Tomcat server printout System.out.print infor?

Hello experts,

Currently, I am uploading a new .war file up to my hosting company.

However, I am puzzled how things work and would like to check what is the norm out there.

They are using httpd apache server and tomcat.

Basically, I have subscribed a private Tomcat server so I get an instance of Tomcat server - 8.0.27.

But, the re-start of server is not in my control.

I would like to know if this is the normal environment in a web hosting company ?

Another thing is that, in my newly uploaded war file, I don't get to see any System.out.println infor in my code, which I believe it should be printed out, as per my last log file indication in the web hosting company.

What they told me is
"Only if there is system level operation. For example, unloading/reloading a war file would have logged."

So, please help me know if it is not possible to see system.out.print infor as what I have put in the code in my java class ?

Another thing is that I am going to put in the Tomcat Realm for the log-in module and I am wondering where is the privacy since I do not have the full control over Tomcat in this web hosting environment ?

Thanks & regards,
Karen

Re: Does Tomcat server printout System.out.print infor?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Karen,

On 5/11/19 22:39, Karen Goh wrote:
> Currently, I am uploading a new .war file up to my hosting
> company.
>
> However, I am puzzled how things work and would like to check what
> is the norm out there.
>
> They are using httpd apache server and tomcat.
>
> Basically, I have subscribed a private Tomcat server so I get an
> instance of Tomcat server - 8.0.27.
That version is no longer supported by the "vendor" (Apache). You
should tell your hosting company that you want a supported version if
they are going to charge you for it :)

> But, the re-start of server is not in my control.
>
> I would like to know if this is the normal environment in a web
> hosting company ?

Inconvenient, perhaps, but not necessarily out of the ordinary.

> Another thing is that, in my newly uploaded war file, I don't get
> to see any System.out.println infor in my code, which I believe it
> should be printed out, as per my last log file indication in the
> web hosting company.

If it's "their" instance and not yours, then you probably won't see
that. What kind of access do you have for the server? If you have
shell access, you can probably get the logs. Using System.out.println
is not a great idea as it's pretty inflexible. It's better to use a
"proper" logging system where you can specify the log file name, etc.

> What they told me is "Only if there is system level operation. For
> example, unloading/reloading a war file would have logged."
>
> So, please help me know if it is not possible to see
> system.out.print infor as what I have put in the code in my java
> class ?
>
> Another thing is that I am going to put in the Tomcat Realm for the
>  log-in module and I am wondering where is the privacy since I do
> not have the full control over Tomcat in this web hosting
> environment ?

If you are using container-managed authentication (which is what
Tomcat Realms provide), then you have to trust the hosting provider.
There is no way to prevent the hosting provider from seeing any
secrets you have in that configuration.

- -chris

Re: Does Tomcat server printout System.out.print infor?

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
It is pretty normal.  If you don't want to deal with the systems
administration of your server, you can lease a tomcat instance and
deploy your war file.   A host will typically help you with some of
the configuration and management, and notify you if you have deployed
some naughty code that is consuming server resources.  This is
somewhere in between a WUSIWUG and a fill cloud server instance of,
say, Linux.

Posted by Jason Wee <pe...@gmail.com>.
default tomcat , when you print, logging should goes to catalina.out.
In any case, check logging.properties in tomcat directory on where the
logging configured.

as for realm, it can be configure in the context element, which mean
in the META-INF/context.xml, see
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/realm-howto.html#Configuring_a_Realm