Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nikunj Virani <ni...@netsurf.co.in> on 2003/02/22 11:06:01 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_rewrite + POST..

Hello Everyone,

Let me familiarise you with what my requirement was:

Requirement : "I have two servers: SERVER A the webserver and SERVER B the
mailserver. I have a mailing software running on SERVER B (squirrelmail). I
have all my websites hosted on my webserver. I had to serve all the requests
coming on SERVER A on port 7777 with the mail interface which is hosted on
SERVER B (Lets say domain being mail.xxx.com)".

Solution I Found: I used mod_rewrite for proxying all the requests from
SERVER B. My apache configurations are some thing like this:

<VirtualHost *:7777>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule (.*) http://mail.xxx.com$1 [P]
</VirtualHost>

Note: I do not need redirection..

Problem AREA:
Now everything worked fine and i was able to run http://SERVERA:7777 and get
mail.xxx.com.On thorough testing following bugs where found which were not
there if i ran mail.xxx.com directly:

Problem A: There was some problems with some of the forms submission on the
mail application. Problem was with missing session variables from some of
the pages due to which the user was being redirected to main page.

On thorough investigation and close look at access logs of both the apache
servers, i noticed that some of the session variables were not reaching
SERVER B. I am using POST Method for form submission and problem seems to be
only with the pages requested through POST. It was also noted that all other
pages where server throuh GET and there was no problems with them (This is
just an observation and could be wroung).

Has any body else also faced the similar problems while using
mod_rewritewith session variables and POST Method ?

DO i need any changes on my Redirection rules ?

Expecting an early reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Nikunj Virani