Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Smiley <DS...@mitre.org> on 2006/07/17 17:50:23 UTC

Re: [m2] dependencyManagement question ?

Is there a reason why versions specified in dependencyManagement only apply
to dependencies which don't have a version specified?  In other words... why
not have it specify the dependency regardless of whatever is specified in
some child pom?  The use case here is for 3rd party pom's transitively
brought in like cglib for example.  Hibernate depends on cglib... and so
does SpringFramework's AOP stuff.  I'd like to specify at the top level of
my project which version I want chosen without having to introduce a hard
dependency via <dependencies> directly since my project does not directly
use cglib.

Re: [m2] dependencyManagement question ?

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Well I don't agree that dependencyManagement should override what's
specified as a hard dependency in the child POM, applying to
transitive dependencies is certainly a valid use case:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1577

- Stephen

On 7/17/06, David Smiley <DS...@mitre.org> wrote:

> Is there a reason why versions specified in dependencyManagement only apply
> to dependencies which don't have a version specified?  In other words... why
> not have it specify the dependency regardless of whatever is specified in
> some child pom?  The use case here is for 3rd party pom's transitively
> brought in like cglib for example.  Hibernate depends on cglib... and so
> does SpringFramework's AOP stuff.  I'd like to specify at the top level of
> my project which version I want chosen without having to introduce a hard
> dependency via <dependencies> directly since my project does not directly
> use cglib.

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com