Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ivon Gonzalez <Iv...@agd.org> on 2003/06/11 20:18:58 UTC

Help Running Tomcat

I have set up a few computers with Tomcat on a network and local machines.  I am having problems running Tomcat on this particular machine which is on a network.  I have moved the servlet.jar file to the java sdk home/jre/lib/ext.  I have set up JAVA_HOME to point to my sdk location and the TOMCAT_HOME to the tomcat location.  when I run Tomcat by typing tomcat startup or tomcat start it opens a new dos window and closes it immediately.  I type in tomcat run and it gives me this error:  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/logging/Logger

What could be causing this error?  How do I fix it so that I can run Tomcat on this machine.  Could the current network setup interfere?

Re: Help Running Tomcat

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:18, Ivon Gonzalez wrote:
>  I have moved the servlet.jar file to the java sdk home/jre/lib/ext.

Why did you do that? That is probably causing your problem...

Try:

startup.bat --> startup_error.log

to capture the errors and then see what the problem is by reviewing the file.

Jason Bainbridge
http://jblinux.org

Re: Help Running Tomcat

Posted by Lee W <le...@unassemble.co.uk>.
Ivon Gonzalez wrote:
> I have set up a few computers with Tomcat on a network and local machines.  I am having problems running Tomcat on this particular machine which is on a network.  I have moved the servlet.jar file to the java sdk home/jre/lib/ext.  I have set up JAVA_HOME to point to my sdk location and the TOMCAT_HOME to the tomcat location.  when I run Tomcat by typing tomcat startup or tomcat start it opens a new dos window and closes it immediately.  I type in tomcat run and it gives me this error:  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/logging/Logger
>
> What could be causing this error?  How do I fix it so that I can run Tomcat on this machine.  Could the current network setup interfere?

> .

Ivon,

I don't think this is the reason for the problem but why are you moving
the servlet.jar file.

All the instructions I have ready so far (yes I am still a newbie) say
to simply set the classpath to point to where the servlet.jar file is,
on a windows machine(and I think unix/linux as well) it should be in
%CATALINA_HOME%\common\lib\servlet.jar.

Have you set the environment variables (JAVA_HOME, CATLINA_HOME, CLASSPATH)?

Just though I would add my 2 pennies worth.

Regards

Lee