Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2017/07/20 14:29:55 UTC

Re: The #storm-user IRC channel

Moving to the dev mailing list as it is more than just the PMC that provides support for storm.

- Bobby

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 6:27:12 PM CDT, Hugo Louro <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

The first question is, do we want to provide chat support? It has the pro of being more interactive, but the con of making info more disperse.
If the decision is to go with having an official chat, one can evaluate if there are better chat and/or more integrated alternatives, e.g Gitter.
Thanks,Hugo
On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

We've had a #storm-user channel on Freenode forever, but we seem to have almost totally abandoned it. We still direct users there on our website: http://storm.apache.org/ getting-help.html but the information found in the channel is terribly out of date and incorrect.
I peek in there every once in a while, and users frequently show up with questions. Probably many are going unanswered. I wonder if it makes our project seem a little dead if the help channel we list on our web page is so out of date and inactive.
Currently Nathan is the only user with permission to change anything. I think we should either update the info on the channel and maybe try and do something with it, or remove it from the website.

Thanks,
-- Kyle

Re: The #storm-user IRC channel

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
I think removing IRC channel got enough votes which we could treat it as
having consensus.
For reaching out a person 1 by 1 anything they prefer would be OK, but if
my understanding is right, if there're some decisions derived from there,
decisions and summary of context should be shared to the ASF infra.

Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2017년 10월 12일 (목) 오전 8:01, Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi,