Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Sledz, Steffen" <sl...@DResearch.DE> on 2010/03/09 08:46:52 UTC

Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response. [400, #0]

We're running an SVN-HTTPS-Server at a CentOS 5.4 server with

 subversion-1.6.6-0.1.el5.rf
 httpd-2.2.14-jason.1
 apr-1.3.8-1.jason.1

One of the repositories is a copy of the openembedded git repo,
which contains a few thousand files and a big history.

When calling

 git svn clone -s https://ourserver/repos/openembedded

this results in an

 W: Ignoring error from SVN, path probably does not exist: (175002):
 RA layer request failed: Server sent unexpected return value (504 Gateway Time-out) in response to REPORT request for '/repos/openembedded/!svn/bc/14'

The gateway timeout comes from a squid transparent proxy which
acts as an auth gatekeeper. The original error comes from the
SVN-Server itself and is this one:

 Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [400, #0]

Any hints how we can fix the problem?

Steffen

Re: Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response. [400, #0]

Posted by Steffen Sledz <sl...@dresearch.de>.
Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>> But i did not expect success here, because the error occurred after
>> about 15 minutes what is much longer than the http-timeout.
>
> [ Remember to put the list in cc as well, so the reply goes not only to me ]

Sorry for that.

> Alternatively, in your setup (with squid proxy and firewalls etc in
> between), it could also be one of those components in the middle that
> decides to terminate the connection.

Good hint. I found it. The default for the squid read_timeout is
15 minutes. After increasing this value to 60 minutes everything
works fine.

Thx,

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Steffen Sledz <sl...@dresearch.de> wrote:
> Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>> You could be experiencing a client-side timeout. Svn with neon (which
>> is the default client-side http access library) has a default timeout
>> of 30 seconds. If the client doesn't get something within those 30
>> seconds, it terminates the connection.
>>
>> You can specify a higher timeout value in the "runtime configuration
>> area"[1] on the client, in the servers file[2]. E.g. put a line
>> "http-timeout = 60" in the global section, or in the group that
>> matches with your server.
>>
>> [1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.confarea.html
>> [2] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.confarea.html#svn.advanced.confarea.opts.servers
>
> I tried this without success.
>
> But i did not expect success here, because the error occurred after
> about 15 minutes what is much longer than the http-timeout.

[ Remember to put the list in cc as well, so the reply goes not only to me ]

It could be a timeout on the server as well. Look into the SVN
server's Apache config for a TimeOut directive ...

That the total operation took more than 15 minutes doesn't mean
anything for this kind of timeout, because during the entire operation
a lot of different http requests/responses are exchanged (you can see
which if you analyze your Apache's access logs). The entire sequence
of requests/responses can take hours. As long as no single request has
to wait more than 30 seconds for its response you'll be fine. If a
single http request doesn't get a response in 30 seconds (or whatever
custom value you've configured) you'll get a timeout ...

Alternatively, in your setup (with squid proxy and firewalls etc in
between), it could also be one of those components in the middle that
decides to terminate the connection.

Johan

Re: Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response. [400, #0]

Posted by Steffen Sledz <sl...@dresearch.de>.

Posted by Steffen Sledz <sl...@dresearch.de>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steffen Sledz <sl...@dresearch.de>.

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Tuesday 09 March 2010, Sledz, Steffen wrote:
> One of the repositories is a copy of the openembedded git repo,
> which contains a few thousand files and a big history.
>
> When calling
>
>  git svn clone -s https://ourserver/repos/openembedded

What does 'git svn clone...' do? Can you reproduce the problem with just svn?

> this results in an
>
>  W: Ignoring error from SVN, path probably does not exist: (175002):
>  RA layer request failed: Server sent unexpected return value (504
>  Gateway Time-out) in response to REPORT request
>  for '/repos/openembedded/!svn/bc/14'
>
> The gateway timeout comes from a squid transparent proxy which
> acts as an auth gatekeeper.

I seem to remember that squid does not work out of the box for Subversion's
use of HTTP, you have to enable a few extra commands.

> The original error comes from the SVN-Server itself and is this one:
>
>  Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT
>  response.  [400, #0]

Smells like a proxy/firewall that refuses to let something pass.

Try
 - with plain svn instead of git
 - via HTTP instead of HTTPS
 - from a non-firewalled machine
 - on a different repository

Uli

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.