Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Pradeep B <bp...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/15 06:55:25 UTC

Lucene pointing to existing DB Index

Hi
I have just started out on lucene and experimenting with some possibilities.
My goal is to try to exploit an existing database index (which in my case
is an inverted index)  to serve as a Lucene Index.
this helps me avoid need of additional indexing time and storage space.

Is this possible ?

What are the best practices to integrate Lucene to provide Search
capabilities on a column-oriented databases ?

Any pointers / suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Pradeep

Re: Lucene pointing to existing DB Index

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Pradeep B <bp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have just started out on lucene and experimenting with some possibilities.
> My goal is to try to exploit an existing database index (which in my case
> is an inverted index)  to serve as a Lucene Index.
> this helps me avoid need of additional indexing time and storage space.
>
> Is this possible ?

You might be able to write a custom codec to do it. But this would be
a very tedious task and the result would likely be much slower than
Lucene's default codec (because you would need to keep on doing
translations between Lucene's doc IDs and your database index internal
IDs) so wouldn't recommend doing it.

--
Adrien