Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Roger B.A. Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org> on 2003/12/20 07:08:32 UTC

[users@httpd] "Domain masking" -- rewriting without changing browser bar

I've tried to figure this one out, but am not sure I know the right
question to ask, alas.

Apache 1.3.27 -- is it possible for me to rewrite any reference to the
virtual host www.foo.com to www.bigisp.com/users/foo/$1 and NOT update
the browser bar?

What module? (I can't see how to do it with mod_rewrite so I assume it's
not...)  I've tried to RTFM but can't find the point of entry.

Re: [users@httpd] "Domain masking" -- rewriting without changing browser bar

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:57:22 -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

>  (Am I correct in assuming I activate mod_proxy via
>  AddModule/LoadModule, add ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse directives,
>  and I'm in business?

Yes, that's correct.

If the sites (or their links) you're proxying for are slow, or if the traffic to them is high, you might also want to look at mod_cache. This could help lessen the impact of the scheme.

>  If I do nothing else but that, am I exposing
>  myself to any other sort of proxying?)

Make sure you do *not* turn ProxyRequests On.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

Re: [users@httpd] "Domain masking" -- rewriting without changing browser bar

Posted by "Roger B.A. Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org>.
Brian Dessent wrote:

> "Roger B.A. Klorese" wrote:
>
>>I've tried to figure this one out, but am not sure I know the right
>>question to ask, alas.
>>
>>Apache 1.3.27 -- is it possible for me to rewrite any reference to the
>>virtual host www.foo.com to www.bigisp.com/users/foo/$1 and NOT update
>>the browser bar?
>>
>>What module? (I can't see how to do it with mod_rewrite so I assume it's
>>not...)  I've tried to RTFM but can't find the point of entry.
>

> If you are willing to allow YOUR server to proxy the bigisp.com site and
> present as if it were foo.com, then look into mod_proxy.  Keep in mind
> that all traffic will pass through your server with this method.

I'll ask their expectations -- I too hate the frame method, and suspect
that proxying for them is what we'll do.

(Am I correct in assuming I activate mod_proxy via AddModule/LoadModule,
add ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse directives, and I'm in business?  If I do

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
"Roger B.A. Klorese" wrote:

> I've tried to figure this one out, but am not sure I know the right
> question to ask, alas.
>
> Apache 1.3.27 -- is it possible for me to rewrite any reference to the
> virtual host www.foo.com to www.bigisp.com/users/foo/$1 and NOT update
> the browser bar?
>
> What module? (I can't see how to do it with mod_rewrite so I assume it's
> not...)  I've tried to RTFM but can't find the point of entry.

If you are willing to allow YOUR server to proxy the bigisp.com site and
present as if it were foo.com, then look into mod_proxy.  Keep in mind
that all traffic will pass through your server with this method.

Otherwise you are going to have to tell the client (by a redirect or
frameset) to get the data from bigisp.com.  If you use a redirect, the
URL will change in the browser bar.  You can get around this by having
the entire site under a big frameset.  A lot of "domain redirection"
services (for example, the free-but-popup-riddled .tk domains) use this
method, but I personally can't stand it.  What you do is have
www.foo.com to return a small document that consists only of a frameset
with a single frame that occupies the entire screen, the URL of which is
the page on bigisp.com.  The browser still fetches the site from
bigisp.com, but it doesn't show it in the URL bar.  BUt this is a
horrible thing because it means that from that point on the URL in the
browser bar will be constant as "www.foo.com", it will never change as
the user navigates.  To me this is abysmal from a usability standpoint
-- it breaks bookmarking, link copying, and F5/refreshing.  And you're
not hiding anything from the clueful user, they will always be able to
look at the source and see that the content is actually being requested
from bigisp.com.

Brian