Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ld...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/03/19 15:00:53 UTC

Android Wear + Cordova

Googlers, I saw the announcement for the Android Wear developer preview
for extending android apps to wearables (
http://developer.android.com/wear/index.html).  Have you guys thought
about Cordova in this space?  is it possible to deploy a cordova app to a
wearable?  Just curious :)

Lisa

Lisa Seacat DeLuca
Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldeluca@apache.org | |
ldeluca@us.ibm.com | lisaseacat.com | |

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
We have no idea whether it will have a WebView or not.  We just know
that the initial stripped-down SDK that was released doesn't have one.
 I'd still wait and see when it comes to AndroidWear.

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
What about Pebble Watch?

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Ross Gerbasi <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Ross Gerbasi <rg...@gmail.com>.
Alright on it ;) I am starting to think this is not the case though for
Android Wear (the webview anyway)  As I have been reading through the
Getting started guide here it says

*Caution:* Do not install apps on the Android Wear emulator. The system
does not support traditional Android apps and the result of running such
apps is unpredictable.

I am starting to see that wear is simply a receiver for things (mainly
notifications) from an App. With the ability to send a response backlike
what button was clicked or what text to speech thingy you said. If anyone
else has looked into this more please tell me if I am off track, but I
believe this will be very simple to add cordova support via a plugin. We
will simply add the wear jar library and abstract out all the "send
notification" magic to allow javascript to send those along.

It should also be easy enough to abstract voice input from wear back into
the JS app, much like what we are doing with the Google Glass plugin.

My only concern is how to manage something like this

NotificationCompat.Builder notificationBuilder =
        new NotificationCompat.Builder(mContext)
        .setContentTitle("New mail from " + sender.toString())
        .setContentText(subject)
        *.setSmallIcon(R.drawable.new_mail);*

I am not sure how we will be able to send images from our JS application to
wear, there does not seem to be a "dynamic" image example. Once I dig in
more I am hoping to find a way to just load up an image from the assets
folder like they are doing with a resource.

-ross

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

Posted by Brian LeRoux <br...@gmail.com>.
Lets hope the w3c automotive group gets steam so we can justify getting
Tesla's for testing purposes too.

Re: Android Wear + Cordova

From:   Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>
To:     "dev@cordova.apache.org" <de...@cordova.apache.org>